Can't post a comment or reply to Dailykos users

silverfox43 (unverified)

08 Apr, 2019 09:54 PM

I posted a comment this morning and want to post another comment replying to two people who commented on my post.
What am I missing? I can't find a way to do that. Help

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Apr, 2019 11:14 PM

Hello, silverfox43.

I'm not sure that what you are encountering will be addressed by this reply, but there's a good chance it will be. If not, then please feel free to return with more details, including the browser and operating system you use, plus as much as you can share (or show, with a screenshot) of what is happening for you.

Lately, we've had many such reports from site members who use Safari on a desktop or mobile platform. Whether you are not seeing a comment box at all, or seeing something that looks like a whole array of icons not displayed in a useful form, the underlying issue is the same: the editor box is not fully loading.

Our developers have identified the source of the problem, but so far our efforts to devise a permanent and comprehensive remedy have not done the trick. It's arising for other websites, too, and unfortunately at the moment we're forced to create our own workaround for it. The developers are still working on such a fix.

Meanwhile, we have some workarounds to suggest.

First, it will help if you clear your browser cache frequently for Daily Kos-related data AND then restart your browser immediately afterwards. It is NOT necessary or useful to clear cookies, which may make this process slightly less onerous. Instructions for clearing a browser cache, either on a desktop or a mobile browser, are available in many locations online.

Second, it is also a good strategy to use a private window on Safari when you visit Daily Kos. Doing so prevents the kind of data upload from our server to your browser that elicits the misfire when you seek to comment or post a story.

Third (which for many users could be an unwelcome or inadequate solution), you may prefer to use a different browser altogether. But there's an important detail to keep in mind. All browsers available on iOS (that is, iPhones and iPads) also must use some core features of Safari. Thus, installing Firefox or Chrome on a mobile device might not fully address the problem for you. The other two workarounds, however, will suffice.

We hope that this is helpful for you and other site users in the short term, as we pursue a better solution. Thank you for your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2019 11:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac