YouTube video playback problems

AlwaysOptimistic (unverified)

25 Mar, 2019 08:16 PM

This comment was split from the discussion: Cannot post a comment

I have been having issues with my MacBook for a few weeks with Youtube videos not loading, without having to first "reload"...and even then, the videos just suddenly stop after 4-6 minutes. I have gone through the checklist I found online to resolve the problem to no avail. Now, I can't comment here (though can write a comment on the help page?? weird). It all seems linked somehow, though I am not a computer geek so who knows??

The MacBook is off to my local Apple geek business tomorrow. Fingers crossed it can be resolved, because my 2012 MacBook Pro has been a reliable great lap top that I have no desire to upgrade.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 25 Mar, 2019 08:23 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking. I've split off your question into a separate thread because it's likely a different issue altogether.

A while back a similar issue emerged for iOS users, so we devised at least a temporary workaround. I've not seen recent reports of the issue now, but that's not to say you're alone. Time will tell what others bring to help desk.

The suggestion here will work only if you get at least the initial embed to display. From your description above, it sounds like that is the case.

When you want to watch one of those embeds, click on it and then click immediately on the little curvy arrow in the upper right corner. You'll then see a display of the URL for the YouTube along with a few icons. Click on the three-dot icon, and a new tab for the YouTube will open. You can then watch and hear the video.

I'll be interested in hearing what happens after your tuneup. I know that it's costly to upgrade to a new device. Are you able to continue to update your OS and your browsers? That's likely more significant for you.

We'll keep an eye out for more reports of video issues on OS. Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

2. 2 Posted by AlwaysOptimisti... on 25 Mar, 2019 10:46 PM

Still not sure exactly what the issue is, though it may be Safari.. As an experiment Chrome and Firefox have been installed, and I will test them at home for a bit to see if the Youtube video's run without having to reload.

I was just able to comment with Chrome here, so that is a good sign.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Mar, 2019 09:51 PM

OK cool.
    Thanks for the update, and please feel free to keep them coming.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac