No search results returned for comments and daiies posted by me

Ronald England

16 Feb, 2019 06:25 PM

Why am I unable to get search results showing either dairies or comments I have posted?

I was posting comments and dairies about "Oath of Office" for some time. Yet when I do searches for either using the advanced search tool I get on results found. Here are two dairies that the searches failed to find but I found by reading every dairy I posted.

Open Letter President Obama, Brief the Press, Defend America and Our Constitution https://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/12/12/1610043/-Open-Letter-President-Obama-Brief-the-Press-Defend-America-and-Our-Constitution

We the People, hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,... https://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/12/6/1608064/-We-the-People-hold-these-truths-to-be-self-evident-that-all-men-are-created-equal

What is wrong with DKOS search engines that we cannot find dairies and comments that we know we posted?

1. 1 Posted by siab on 16 Feb, 2019 06:55 PM

Well, when I tried a simple search of your diaries in 2016, using the word "oath" as they key in title or text, I got both those diaries plus another one titled 'We need to frame our positions better".

Sometimes, simpler is better. Search for diaries needs to be over a period of not longer than a year, and it needs to at least have a word in the main search field. (When in doubt, use 'the')

This is where tags come in handy. The first search I tried was for 'oath' as a tag, since the tag search will show up all combinations of whatever word you use. Nothing.

I will grant you that there are quirks in the DK database. There are quirks in all databases, and the way to learn them is to run multiple searches, checking all likely variations, until you're comfortable that you've got a handle on it.

2. 2 Posted by Eyesbright on 16 Feb, 2019 06:57 PM

The Help Desk is not usually staffed on the weekends.
    I'm not the Help Desk, but as a long-time user I can offer you some information that should help.

Here are things I know about the Search feature:
    1. The search *period* can be no longer than 12 months. <----that's a big deal and I'll bet it's what caused you problems. Search for a year at a time and just change the last digit on the years in the "published between" and "And" each time.

2. The search function here at DK is NOT Boolean. Keep it simple and limit your search term to one word (maybe two words). In the specific case you mentioned, "oath" is enough.

I hope that helps. Keep in mind, too, that this kind of information can usually be found by using the "Search" function at the top right side of the Help Desk screen.

3. 3 Posted by Ronald England on 16 Feb, 2019 09:28 PM

Thanks to both responders. I tried both conditions in other searches that I did not use in the email. Again thanks.

4. 4 Posted by jwinIL14 on 16 Feb, 2019 10:44 PM

Ronald, I'll offer you a handy tip if I may. A quick easier way to find all of your diaries & comments ever posted is to be logged in then click on your user name which will take you to your profile page. On the menu across top you can click on (list) of "Diaries (list)" or on "comments" and you'll have everything that you've ever published in reverse chronological order. Good luck & happy hunting! ~ John

5. 5 Posted by Eyesbright on 16 Feb, 2019 11:16 PM

jwinil14 (aka John),

Please note that Ronald England has published 72 diaries. Looking at a list of them will bring up about half a dozen at a time. That's 12 pages.
    Please note: I've been there and done that when trying to find a particular diary from a few years ago (when I was doubtful about what year I'd published it). I've done 168 diaries now. How long do you think 168 diaries would take?

DK's search function, while clunky and far from what it should/could be, takes a matter of a few seconds **per year**.

6. 6 Posted by jwinIL14 on 17 Feb, 2019 12:08 AM

Eyesbright,

Thanks for chiming in, you make a great point I'd not considered. Thinking back, I've mostly used just the comments feature and scanned their Tip Jars when searching for previous diaries of others. Never having had much luck with cantankerous Dkos Search feature led me to come up with some albeit flaky workarounds over the years.

7. 7 Posted by ptressel on 17 Feb, 2019 12:39 AM

Ronald England, did you get search to work?

Because for me, it is currently returning no results to any diary title and text searches or diary title searches. The queries I'm trying are one's that I know should have results, because I'm looking at actual diaries containing the terms. I've tried different browsers. I've tried selecting the date range via the date picker widget and by typing it in.

If it's still not working for you, there may be a problem with search just now. If this helpdesk discussion has gone off in different directions, i.e. to workarounds, do we need a new bug report just for the search function malfunctioning?

8. 8 Posted by ptressel on 17 Feb, 2019 02:48 AM

More information:

If I set the start date in "published between" to *a year earlier than 2018*, I get no results. If *the year is 2018 or later*, I get results. With the same query terms.

*To reproduce the problem*, enter a query expected to return lots of results, and a start date of 12/31/2017. Don't set the end date. No results will be returned. Now change the start date to one day later, 01/01/2018. Results will be returned.

I tried this with several queries. including "weld" (without the quotes) because I had the recent Bill Weld diary open, so I knew there should be results. And I tried "troll" because I was looking for Crashing Vor's diary in late 2017 on his song "Troll Factory", and a search for "troll factory" returned nothing. Found the diary via Google search with site:dailykos.com, and confirmed that the diary was still available.

(Did I type "one's", or did that apostrophe just leap in there by itself? Meh.)

9. 9 Posted by ptressel on 17 Feb, 2019 04:28 AM

More information:

It's more complicated than just having the start date before 2018...

Adding an end date, so long as it's early enough, allows the search to return results. For instance, a date range of 01/01/2017 to 12/31/2018 returns results, but an end date one day later, 01/01/2018, with the same start date 01/01/2017, returns no results.

10. 10 Posted by ptressel on 17 Feb, 2019 04:29 AM

Ronald England -- can you try some different date ranges, especially with an earlier end date, and see if you can get those to work?

11. 11 Posted by Nova Land on 18 Feb, 2019 04:40 PM

"Please note that Ronald England has published 72 diaries. Looking at a list of them will bring up about half a dozen at a time. That's 12 pages."

No. Looking at a list of them can bring up 50 at a time. That's 2 pages.

There are several ways of looking at a list of diaries one has published. One way is to use the [username]'s Most Recent Diaries list at the bottom of one's profile, which does indeed list about half a dozen at a time.

But one can also use the DIARIES (LIST) link on the left side of the menu line at the top of the profile page. Both the word DIARIES and the parenthetical (LIST) are links.

Clicking DIARIES will bring up the opening picture and text of a series of diaries. How many it brings up will vary depending on how much content the diaries contain before reaching the page break (or, if no page break was used, how much content the full diary has). So that's also not the best way for looking through a long list of diaries.

But clicking LIST brings up the titles of a series of 50 diaries at a time. So if someone has 72 diaries, clicking it once will bring up the most recent 50 and clicking the NEXT button at the bottom of the list will bring up the remaining 22.

12. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 01 Mar, 2019 02:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac