Daily KOS Recommended email with links identified as being dangerous

Scot Hoeksema (unverified)

18 Jan, 2019 01:00 AM

I received an email this afternoon from Daily KOS Recommended and this headline: • In fit of rage, Trump cancels Pelosi trip to Afghanistan, endangering her and national security

I did not check all the links, but at least the first three took me to websites that were blocked due to having been identified as containing malicious spyware.

Is this a mistake or is this email bogus?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Jan, 2019 10:56 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking about this issue.

We have received only one other such report, and at the moment we're not quite sure what might be causing the alert. Our emails are fine, and our links are secure, heading right back to the website.

If you're interested in doing some troubleshooting with us, we could attempt a more complete diagnosis. We'd want to know, to start, what operating system and browser you're using; whether you have any similar issues with links from other emails (if you're on other lists like ours); and whether you can provide us with some screenshots of the error messages you're getting.

Thanks for the alert, in any case. We'll await your reply.

2. 2 Posted by Polly Warner (u... on 20 Jan, 2019 01:07 PM

Same thing happened to me this morning (1/20/2019) I use internet explorer, but it was a Microsoft warning telling me that it was a phishing email to collect info. 
    This website has been reported as unsafe
    u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net

We recommend that you do not continue to this website. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.
    Back to safety
    More information 
    Windows Defender SmartScreen

3. 3 Posted by Scot Hoeksema (... on 20 Jan, 2019 03:41 PM

Here is a screenshot. I am using Windows 10 and their Edge browser. I have not had this problem with links on any other emails (including others from Daily KOS).
    Sent from Mail for Windows 10

4. 4 Posted by parsonsbeach on 20 Jan, 2019 07:02 PM

I just deleted roughly 40 e-mails "recommended" by Kos and came here to see what's up. Didn't open any.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac