Having a problem editing a diary

pucklady

01 Jan, 2019 02:51 AM

When I am editing a draft diary, there is a big grey box on the right side that says "Draft" amongst other things. The problem is the box covers up the [Save] button, so I can't save a diary without publishing it. When I scroll the diary, the grey box stays there, covering up the [Save] button.

How do I make that big grey box go away to reveal the [Save] button? I'm using Chrome on Windows 10.

1. 1 Posted by pucklady on 02 Jan, 2019 02:14 PM

Any update to this yet? It's so difficult to edit a diary when you can't save it unless you publish at the same time.

2. 2 Posted by siab on 02 Jan, 2019 04:26 PM

I'm not sure, but you might want to try changing the page zoom to see if the layout shifts. It looks as though they may have made some changes in the layout, and I haven't worked with it lately, but I just went into the editor and that seems as though it might work.

3. 3 Posted by siab on 02 Jan, 2019 04:33 PM

Plus, there's a new icon at the top - 3 lines in a box, that shifts the right column to the right if it's overlapping the diary text, and leaves you with a Publish and an Edit button at the top of the page. So, play with both resizing the browser, and changing the zoom.

4. 4 Posted by pucklady on 06 Jan, 2019 01:58 PM

I have a bit of an update to the problem.
    Sometimes I can change the size from maximized to non-maximized and the black box goes away to reveal the [SAVE] and [PUBLISH] buttons. siab had the solution.

I'd call this a design bug. How do we get the attention of the web master?

In the past, I've had to periodically publish the diary and then quickly unpublish just to save what I've done.

5. 5 Posted by pucklady on 06 Jan, 2019 06:27 PM

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!! I'm trying to create a Good News Diary and I can't save my work without publishing the diary!!!

The entire right third of my screen is a dark gray box that says DRAFT and do I want to delete or publish my diary? (Those are the only choices I have)

No, I don't want to do either of those things. When I scroll my window, the gray box stays where it is. There are no other links or buttons anywhere that allows me to do anything else. I can either delete the diary or publish. When I choose publish, the gray box fills with a calendar. Ok, I choose some day way in the future and publish the diary. then the calendar clears and I'm back to the black box.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW I SAVE A DIARY?????

6. 6 Posted by siab on 07 Jan, 2019 03:22 AM

Somehow you're seeing only the bottom 2/3 of the rh column.

I can force the same visual on my Diary Editor, but when I do, I see a double scrollbar to the right of the rh column, and if I use the cursor to move the inner scrollbar I can bring the SAVE portion of the column down so that I can see it.

Try it - who knows, it might work for you. Sorry I can't give you more than that at this point.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Jan, 2019 08:12 PM

Hello, pucklady, I'm sorry you're experiencing this frustration.

But as far as I can tell from reading what you have described, and what siab has added, there's no obvious reason why your display is showing only that portion of the right sidebar in draft view, instead of permitting you access to all the editing options.

It might help me figure out what's going on if I have a few more details, and if you check on a couple of things. First, let me explain the attached screenshot. It shows a draft window for a post in Win10/Chrome, with a number of the features siab mentioned in earlier replies. This view is at 200%, and it's cropped so that you see the three horizontal lines at the top, next to the buttons for Save and Publish, and the top of the right sidebar showing another option to Save Draft (which is truncated). The view of a non-maximized browser window can be the same. The trick is to click on that little "hamburger" icon (the three lines) which will make the sidebar slide over, or away from, the draft window. You can also see the vertical scroll bars that siab references. The outside bar moves the draft window. The inside bar moves the editing panel.

My first question is, then, what indeed DO you see on the right-hand side of your screen? Sometimes attaching a screenshot of YOUR page can really advance the discussion considerably. I know, PCs aren't the easiest machines on which to capture a screenshot. But probably your system has Paint installed, and by clicking Shift-PrtScr you can get an image to paste into a Paint window, which you can then crop and save.

My working hypothesis is that you have something on your browser, some sort of extension, that's interfering with proper site display. It's the first time I remember hearing about this particular problem, which also suggests that it's something on your system rather than something site-wide for Chrome users. I'm not implying at all that you don't see it -- just trying to explain that I have to be able to reproduce it to start to figure out what's wrong.

You can try our standard troubleshooting tactic as well. Open an incognito Chrome window and see if you have this problem. Almost all extensions are disabled in incognito mode, so that'll be a relatively easy way to know whether we're on the right track.

Thanks. I know it's frustrating to encounter blocks like this when you have a series post to complete.

8. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 07 May, 2019 12:21 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac