User Avatars

Pariah Dog

13 Dec, 2018 01:34 PM

Not a huge deal, but a little annoying. I've been having a problem this morning with some user avatars not displaying. Not everyone's, only some. I haven't done an in depth count, but I'd say about 50 to 60% of them. First time this has ever happened.

I've logged out, logged back in, cleaned up disk space, ran a full virus scan, de-fragged the drive, cleared the Kos cookies as well as others I didn't recognize, and nothing has helped. I'm fairly certain now that it's not on my end.

Anybody else reporting this?

1. 1 Posted by aoeu on 13 Dec, 2018 01:37 PM

Is it related to the other tickets? I see it too and I only see the stock Avatars incorrectly. Custom avatars display normally.

2. 2 Posted by Pariah Dog on 13 Dec, 2018 02:52 PM

Other tickets? I looked to see if anyone else had started a ticket for this specific issue, but didn't see any.

It may have something to do with stock avatars, but not 100% sure. At first it seemed to be only in the comments. Most of the FPers avatars display okay - Sumner, Blades, Clauson, etc. And all of them are custom. But on today's C&J BiPM's avatar is blank and I'm pretty sure his is a custom too.

Then I noticed it in the diary headers. Some of the diarist's avatars are also MIA. I haven't spotted any commonality as yet. And I haven't changed any of my settings either on Kos or my comp.

Here's what I got by clicking "View Image Info:"

Type: text/html
    Size: Unknown (not cached)

3. 3 Posted by SandraLLAP on 13 Dec, 2018 03:08 PM

Hello- this message is to report that I'm experiencing the same issue that Pariah Dog & aoeu have reported. I've attached a screenshot image, where I put a red box around the missing image. And I'm inclined to agree with Pariah Dog, that this is a bug on the site's end (and so I'd recommend that this be looked into, and corrected).

4. 4 Posted by Besame on 13 Dec, 2018 05:40 PM

Moi aussi.

It is only some avatars (for example my own is fine as are many others). IDK if this divides along "stock" avatars and "custom" because I don't see those I don't see.

MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.6 Chrome 70.0.3538.102

5. 5 Posted by Lost and Found on 13 Dec, 2018 07:57 PM

What I'm seeing is custom avatars that are fine throughout, and default avatars that are consistently broken at size 55 x 55 (comment sections) but okay at size 115 x 115 (comments by this user page) and size 125 x 125 (profile page).

Pariah Dog: I went to the profile page for Bill in Portland Maine and it shows that he's currently using the default avatar.
    https://www.dailykos.com/user/Bill%20in%20Portland%20Maine

6. 6 Posted by Pariah Dog on 13 Dec, 2018 08:19 PM

I posted above the info shown when I right clicked one that isn't displaying and clicked on "View Image Info." Now I've been doing this with the ones that are displaying.

All those that do display correctly have a location in the avatars folder, a file number, a name, and all seem to be jpegs. The ones that don't display all seem to be png files and their link says "missing."

For instance my avatar image info says
    Location: https://images.dailykos.com/avatars/142874/small/Nuts.jpg
    and it displays fine... for me anyway.

All of the ones that don't display say:

If you click on the image link, you get a 403 FORBIDDEN.

Since I've never had a problem with files, png or otherwise, displaying before, I don't think it's a setting on my comp. Seems there some sort of glitch in the site's system happening here. Why are all the png images "missing?"

7. 7 Posted by SandraLLAP on 13 Dec, 2018 09:01 PM

It looks to me like the problem is now fixed.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Dec, 2018 09:17 PM

Yes!
    Thanks for the alerts, everyone. The problem affected the default avatars only and it has indeed been fixed.
    Appreciate the notice.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 13 Dec, 2018 09:17 PM.

10. Pariah Dog re-opened this discussion on 14 Dec, 2018 02:06 AM

11. 9 Posted by Pariah Dog on 14 Dec, 2018 02:06 AM

Appreciate the fix! Thanks!

12. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 15 Dec, 2018 12:03 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac