error message appearing on DKos home page.

elenacarlena

06 Dec, 2018 09:43 PM

This comment was split from the discussion: error message appearing on DKos home page.

I'm repeatedly getting an "Error 503" message. Then I reload and it's OK for a little while. Then I get it again. Happens on all pages, including "my replies" and "group messages," and any diaries I happen to click on.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 06 Dec, 2018 10:03 PM

Hi, and thanks for asking. I split off this query because it might be a little different from the other issues raised in the original thread.

Now that you mention it, we do want to know more. Can you pin it down to a particular span of time at all? If you can, then we could track back to see if it connects to any site updates we were running. And is it still happening even now, or did it stop?

Also, we'd like to know a bit more about pages that throw the 503s, or at least confirm: are you're seeing this happen both when you attempt to get at your personal pages (the Perl style, associated with DK4) and also with regular site pages? All site pages, that is, the front page and blog pages, or only individual story pages?

Thanks a lot for your help with details. They'll inform our course of action.

2. 2 Posted by siab on 06 Dec, 2018 11:11 PM

I've gotten the same 503 error page - most usually when linking from the Hiddens page to the top diary on the Recent list just after refreshing the page. Also other links, but generally no more than one repetition of the error on any given link at the time. Usual length of time, a few seconds to a minute.

The freaky part is when I get an error message through the Help Link on the DK5 page = it's not a 503 error, but I think it refers to Hercules... Again it seldom repeats, and comes at what seems to be random times.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Dec, 2018 04:24 AM

Interesting, siab. I'll check them out to see if I can get these to happen. Thanks.

4. 4 Posted by siab on 18 Dec, 2018 06:35 PM

Just now, got.

Error 503 Service Unavailable
    Service Unavailable
    Guru Meditation:
    XID: 1749308813
    Varnish cache server

when I tried to open the latest hidden comment. Trying to get to the Help Desk, I got one hangup on the redirect page, second try went through, then got another error message trying to open this thread/second try went through.
    Make of it what you will.

5. 5 Posted by kurious on 18 Dec, 2018 06:47 PM

I also got the Error 503 Service Unavailable
    Service Unavailable
    Guru Meditation
    Varnish cache server message.

I was attempting to post a comment about 1:30 pm EST and comment wouldn't post. When I tried to check my comments, I got the "do you want to leave page" comment, looked again for comment, which wasn't there. Then, when I checked my Comment list again, it was listed, but when I clicked on it, I got the '503 Error" message.

I restarted the computer and the Site did come up, but I couldn't sign in, getting the 503 error message. I did finally manage to sign in by clicking on the "Recommend" button in a comment, and signed in on the pop-up at that point.

6. 6 Posted by siab on 18 Dec, 2018 07:14 PM

Plus, your standard avatars in comments are on the fritz again. Never rains but it pours!

Image info shows .../avatars/large/missing.png at the broken links.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 Dec, 2018 08:22 PM

Thanks for the more recent alerts.
    We are going to have some more informative (and less alarming) 503 error messages generated soon. They're on the to-do list, and probably won't take all that long to implement. Besides, we have another fix in progress that will probably help the 503s that get caused by the perl-rails (DK4-DK5) communication issue. Most of those occasions for error were caused by that chronic problem.
    The other one, related to a comment failure, was caused by crossing paths with a site deploy. We do try to minimize the odds of that happening by monitoring site traffic, but sometimes someone's work does get caught in middle of the data transfer. You were just "lucky," kurious. Apologies for the lost information.
    Appreciate you letting us know of anomalous behavior on the site, for sure.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 20 Dec, 2018 08:22 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac