Stupid pop up is back

estamm

23 Nov, 2018 07:35 PM

That awful ‘congratulations you won’ pop up that plagued me and a lot of others last week is back. You fixed it before, maybe do it again? I’m on an iPad, and I’m a lifer, so I don’t see ads.

1. 1 Posted by Bongobanger on 23 Nov, 2018 08:28 PM

Yep! Just got the pop up ad again too. I’m also on an iPad. I’ll be downloading Ad Blocker Pro again until this gets fixed. The url for the latest one on my iPad is : http://gifts-for-free.ga/us-iphonexs/index.html?isp=Cox%20Communications%20Inc.&city=Scottsdale#

2. 2 Posted by WYgalinCali on 23 Nov, 2018 08:55 PM

Same here. iPad and it just got me. Twice.

3. 3 Posted by nannyboz on 23 Nov, 2018 08:58 PM

Me too. IPad. Lifer. Hadn’t been bothered in a couple of weeks.

4. 4 Posted by OceanDiver on 23 Nov, 2018 09:00 PM

Malware popup is back here too. I'm on the road, using my iPad. Don't know if home desktop affected.

Current URL: http://gifts-for-free.ga/us-iphonexs/index.html?isp=Frontier%20Comm...

Screenshots attached of popup before and after site is added to iPad restricted URL list (in other words, restricting that site closes access to DK completely).

5. 5 Posted by OceanDiver on 23 Nov, 2018 09:01 PM

6. 6 Posted by bakeneko on 23 Nov, 2018 09:40 PM

I am not getting it on either my iPhone or my iPad.

After last weekend’s attack, I installed Firefox Focus and added it as a Content Blocker to Safari’s Settings. (It will show up in Settings once Firefox Focus has been run once.) Appears to be working so far.

7. 7 Posted by WYgalinCali on 24 Nov, 2018 03:56 AM

I don’t have any screenshots of mine. I was too engaged trying to report it.

Also, I think you sent me an email...it went to my spam folder...I deleted it because I didn’t recognize the address. Sorry.

8. 8 Posted by bakeneko on 24 Nov, 2018 04:12 AM

No worries on deleting a message, they get sent from the Daily Kos Help Desk when someone replies to a thread you've commented in. You can always "white-list" it next time or "unsubscribe from updates". ^_^

9. 9 Posted by WYgalinCali on 24 Nov, 2018 04:15 AM

Thanks. I’ve never reported a problem before.

10. 10 Posted by Sylv on 26 Nov, 2018 04:57 PM

I’m wondering what the status is in the battle against the pop-ups. I have a lifetime subscription, really like the site but don’t want to try reading if the pop-ups haven’t been vanquished. I do feel sorry for the tech crew, these seem to be quite advanced, opening up a new hole after every fix.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by elfling on 26 Nov, 2018 07:53 PM

I think and hope we've won this battle, and we'll be implementing another round of countermeasures shortly.

12. 12 Posted by dadadata on 26 Nov, 2018 08:47 PM

OK, I see I'm a little late to the party. Got this twice on my iPad, never on my laptop. This screen shot is from Friday.

13. 13 Posted by Sylv on 26 Nov, 2018 10:59 PM

Current status; foe appears to be vanquished for now. Here’s hoping whatever other measures are being invoked thwart further incarnations of these damn ads. It was nice being able to read several pages without interruption. Thank you, elfling and other DK crew.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac