Pop Up Spam Began This Morning on IPad

Sandhill Crane

13 Nov, 2018 07:15 PM

I started getting a popup this morning on my ipad from rewardcenterpopupiphoneon dot icu every time I click a link to a diary. From my googling, it appears it's a server side issue. Hope you can help!

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Support Staff 31 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Nov, 2018 11:55 PM

Sorry to ask if you have already done so, OceanDiver, but just in case: have you checked to make sure that your website data have been cleared from the websites producing the previous onslaught?
    Thanks. We're continuing to work on a more systematic solution.

2. 32 Posted by delver rootnose on 17 Nov, 2018 12:22 AM

I’ve repeatedly cleared my website data and am still getting the pop up.

3. 33 Posted by OceanDiver on 17 Nov, 2018 12:54 AM

Since I started the comment below, I'm not getting popups. So thank you for whatever you did!

Just in case you need more info, here's what I was seeing until this latest fix:

(Earlier situation below line)

————————————————————————

I've clicked on “Clear history and Website data” under Safari multiple times, and also restarted my iPad in case it requires that to activate the clear.

I've added the offending domains to the Never Allow list under Screentime Content Restrictions both as a generic address and a specific one. See screenshot of that.

Here's what I get on my screen after blocking the new .ml popup on a white background.

“You cannot browse this page at “⁦‪get-a-free-prize.ml‬⁩” because it is restricted.”

So the popup page won't load but neither will the DK page.

4. 34 Posted by OceanDiver on 17 Nov, 2018 01:02 AM

Rats, the problem I described below the line in the comment above has returned. Can't load DK pages. :(

5. 35 Posted by highacidity on 17 Nov, 2018 01:26 AM

Still down I see. :-(

I just remembered that TPM had this very same problem for a while, but not as bad, in that it didn’t happen every time you loaded the site (like here), and it was only the ‘amazon’ ad, not the select a gift one and the amazon one. They did fix it quickly.

6. 36 Posted by estamm on 17 Nov, 2018 03:02 AM

I am getting this exact same problem. Can't go to DK on my ipad without this same type of popup that I can't get to go away. This is the *only* site it happens with, and it just started today. Hopefully this will get cleared up soon???!!!

7. 37 Posted by Phoenix Rising on 17 Nov, 2018 04:09 PM

It's kind of annoying, but I find I can read on the mobile page without a problem.

8. Support Staff 38 Posted by elfling on 17 Nov, 2018 08:30 PM

We think this is now solved, in a way that should endure. We're working on how this ad got around our defenses. If you see it after this message and you've already cleared your cookies, please holler at me and I'll get my hammer out for another game of whack-a-mole and call in another round of troops.

9. elfling closed this discussion on 17 Nov, 2018 08:30 PM.

10. elfling re-opened this discussion on 17 Nov, 2018 08:30 PM

11. 39 Posted by OceanDiver on 18 Nov, 2018 02:34 AM

Thanks mucho elfling!
    Your fix has prevailed all day.
    Appreciate your sorting this out, esp on the weekend!

Cheers :)

12. 40 Posted by delver rootnose on 18 Nov, 2018 02:59 AM

Thank you very much. Now I can go back to being a PITA on the main site and not bother you on the helpdesk. Thank you

13. 41 Posted by bakeneko on 18 Nov, 2018 05:13 AM

I hope you have a chance to sleep in a bit tomorrow morning and have someone bring you breakfast, elfling. You definitely earned it. ^_^

And thanks again to you and everyone else who showed grace under pressure and got this fixed so quickly.

14. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 18 Nov, 2018 12:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac