Text in included comments gets special characters messed up

MrSkeptic

12 Nov, 2018 08:38 PM

Comments (at least on my screen) often look like this : "Bien-cuit de l'Armée de Terre 🇫ðŸ‡Â"
Even simple apostrophes and quotes get replaced by "stuff". Is there a way to pre-process this text so it is more readable in the comments section?

1. 1 Posted by siab on 12 Nov, 2018 11:07 PM

This seems to be a Twitter link. In general, having the characters messed up in this way either means an incomplete load for the page, or that the tweet referenced has been taken down. A full load on a good comment reproduces the tweet, including images, and there's not a lot anyone downstream can do about it.

2. 2 Posted by maynard41 on 22 Dec, 2018 07:13 PM

Having same problem, all my twitter links look like this:
    All this talk about the lack of “process” is valid and true, but it’s also a proxy for the unstated postulate that Trump doesn’t have the slightest clue what he’s doing.
    — George Conway (@gtconway3d
    My wife's computer in same room, same network, both win10 looks normal. Not sure where to begin?

3. 3 Posted by siab on 23 Dec, 2018 04:02 AM

Try clearing your browser cache - sometimes that can slow things down. If it were me, I'd restart my computer - I tend to leave it on 24x7, and eventually errors do build up and cause slowdowns and other glitches.

Otherwise - it's possible that one or both machines are also doing automatic upgrades or syncs, and hogging bandwidth that way. See if the problem eases if you disconnect the other machine temporarily, or wait a few minutes. Past that, I have no clue.

4. 4 Posted by aoeu on 28 Dec, 2018 09:41 PM

Are you using a script blocker? Allowing the twitter script fixed this problem. I see the pics now, too.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by elfling on 28 Dec, 2018 10:33 PM

This is pretty certainly because you're blocking twitter's scripts that turn it into a fully rendered tweet.

6. 6 Posted by siab on 30 Dec, 2018 02:44 AM

Unless it's intermittent, which is what I get, in which case it's a problem with page load. Happened a couple of times tonight.

7. 7 Posted by maynard41 on 30 Dec, 2018 03:25 AM

Not sure what happened, but the problem stopped occurring. I did clean the browser and fiddle with settings, but can't pinpoint what I actually did that might have helped. I guess my issue might be intermittent. If it is a loading problem, possibly due to my older laptop?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac