Getting a graph to display in a draft

Heywaitaminute

21 Oct, 2018 11:41 PM

I created a graph on my MacBook using the program called numbers. How do I insert it into a draft document?

1. 1 Posted by siab on 22 Oct, 2018 05:22 AM

Take a screenshot and insert it as a graphic image. There are only a limited number of formats DK supports, and whatever it is, it needs to be platform independent for us lonely Microsoft people to have a chance of being able too display it.

You may get a better answer when Staff comes back from the weekend, but I doubt it. ;)

2. 2 Posted by Heywaitaminute on 23 Oct, 2018 12:00 PM

Can I save the graph in another file format, i.e., text, MSWord, etc., and will it then load and appear normally?

3. 3 Posted by siab on 23 Oct, 2018 01:35 PM

If you save it as plain text, it will display as plain text, but you're likely to lose some or all column formatting in the process. The worst part is that you can never tell beforehand which formatting you'll lose.

One possible exception - if the graph is all in text characters, and you can get it to fit within a monospaced box, you might get away with it. (PRE choice in the second line of HTML icons) If the graph is actually a graphic, then no.

4. 4 Posted by siab on 23 Oct, 2018 01:40 PM

You might also check to see whether your program offers any Export options. Some programs are set up to be able to save graphics as Jpeg (.jpg) or other graphic files. That one's a long shot, but worth looking at.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Oct, 2018 03:41 AM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

The answers from user siab basically covered all options but one. We do permit embeds of one kind of spreadsheet: Google sheets. So if you want to convert your Numbers file to a Google sheet, then you'll be good to go. Otherwise, no.

All you have to do is generate a SHARE link from your Google sheet and then paste it into your comment or post. One major caution however: make sure that you are sharing your Google sheet with the VIEW ONLY option.

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2018 03:41 AM.

7. Heywaitaminute re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2018 11:32 PM

8. 6 Posted by Heywaitaminute on 24 Oct, 2018 11:32 PM

I was able to save the graph as a JPEG file on my desktop, but when I attempt to copy and paste it into the article, it does not appear. All JPEGs are not created equal?

9. 7 Posted by Heywaitaminute on 25 Oct, 2018 12:14 AM

Btw, I also tried to paste a 7.9MB JPEG image into the article. It doesn't appear either. And when I try to attach the image to this comment, so that you can inspect it, I get a "413 Request Entity Too Large" error message.

10. 8 Posted by siab on 25 Oct, 2018 03:42 PM

You need to upload the image to the Image Library (Choose the sun and mountain icon on the icon bar and choose Upload, find the file on your computer and Open it, and it will upload to Daily Kos), and then select and Choose it for your diary.

To reduce the size of the image, if that continues to be a problem, open it with whatever image/paint/photo program you have, resize it down between 30 and 50 percent, and resave it, either over the original, or as a second file, and then upload it to the Image Library.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• __of_Child_Poverty_Mn_vs_WI.pages 107 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac