Foot Locker Ad

SBvotes

21 Sep, 2018 07:32 PM

The Foot Locker ad you’re running makes it almost impossible to open my diaries, and when I try, I inevitably hit the ad itself, which was probably the way it was designed.

1. 1 Posted by Alfred E Newman... on 21 Sep, 2018 08:03 PM

Same here. I could not log in as the Footlocker ad was overlayed the password box. I tried several times and it only Worked when a smaller ad was displayed on the top of the page. Using an IPad with iOS 10x

2. 2 Posted by FosterMomInCA on 22 Sep, 2018 03:20 AM

I had an open ticket about this same problem from Sunday through Tuesday. The flying sneakers were then replaced by the WWF ad which, while huge and annoying, didn't prevent the menus from being accessed. Now the flying sneakers are back, again blocking the menus. I'm on an iPad with Firefox.

3. 3 Posted by SBvotes on 22 Sep, 2018 06:11 PM

It’s odd that we three are the only people complaining about this. Surely everyone is having the same problem. I couldn’t get in on my iPad or my Mac. With this ad, I can’t get news either. I thought so,done from the Daily Kos responds to these questions, or at least acknowledges them!

Sent from my iPad

4. 4 Posted by FosterMomInCA on 22 Sep, 2018 06:51 PM

I doubt we're the only people experiencing the problem. We're just the only ones, so far, who have come to the help desk about it.
    Two people wrote diaries about the problem with the WWF ad last week. Many dozens of people responded that they were experiencing the same issue, but only a small percentage came to the help desk.
    Last time, I reported the flying sneaker issue here on Sunday, and the first response from kos staff was -- I think -- Tuesday. And, even then, the problem wasn't actually fixed, it was just suspended for a few days because the Foot Locker ad was replaced by the WWF ad.
    Obviously, DK needs ad revenue to stay in business, and I have no problem with that. My guess is that they are having technical difficulties with the size, movement and placement of the ads, and it's going to take time to resolve those issues.

5. 5 Posted by SBvotes on 22 Sep, 2018 10:37 PM

Good to know! Thanks! I don’t have a problem with advertising either. And, perhaps it is just a technical problem like you mentioned, and will be resolved!

Sent from my iPad

6. 6 Posted by T E Corcoran (u... on 22 Sep, 2018 11:13 PM

Hi,
    Well it is important to say what kind of device and operating system and browser to help with troubleshooting.
    On my account several years ago I paid $100.00 to have no advertisements forever on D Kos. Once in a while I clear my browser cache
    when I run anti virus or just to try and tamp down on advertisement tracking. It was only upon doing that an my I pad that I ran into this problem.
    It is a problem. After several attempts I was "served" a different smaller ad that I was able to see the password box and get beyond.

O.K. so I just tried it again after clearing the History and Cookies in Safari. Got the same Foot Locker ad. The password box is 1/2 obstructed.
    I entered the password with out being able to really see the dialog box and it worked. The first several times I was in the garage with not the best
    wireless signal. Yet that had never been an issue in the past.
    Maybe the Footlocker ad is a huge file that hogs down the system?

Still an issue.

Alfred
    Ipad IOS 10.3.3 & Safari

On 9/22/2018 3:37 PM, SBvotes wrote:

7. 7 Posted by Russ minotaur (... on 24 Sep, 2018 02:09 AM

The flying sneakers foot locker ad keeps me fromseeinfor using most of the menu. Ice like to shove a pair of air jordans up the ass of whoever's responsible. This is what I call "coercive advertising", it forces users to click in it.

8. 8 Posted by Mj (unverified) on 24 Sep, 2018 02:59 AM

Please make it stop now.

9. 9 Posted by Lisa (unverifie... on 24 Sep, 2018 03:26 AM

O
    I am having th same problem.

10. 10 Posted by SBvotes on 24 Sep, 2018 03:33 AM

I have heard from a few other people who are having the same problem, but not from anyone in a position to fix it! If I don’t hear from a Daily Kos person in the next few days, I’ll try again! Thanks for letting me know!

Sent from my iPad

11. 11 Posted by Russ mnotaur (u... on 24 Sep, 2018 04:53 AM

OK I am using a kindle 10 tablet and the ad just blocked me from doing a damn thing, I can't view cartoons, I can't read articles, it is ruining the site for me.

12. 12 Posted by SBvotes on 24 Sep, 2018 04:46 PM

I’ll try to contact someone at the Daily Kos today to see what the problem is. There’s so much important news, and I can hear your frustration!

Sent from my iPad

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 25 Sep, 2018 02:57 AM

Thank you all for making this report of an ad problem.

You're right, the issues with the WWF ad did wind up pushing this one down the priority list. Now we ought to be able to address the situation more effectively. Profuse apologies that you've had to wait so long for some help with this problem.

The screenshots do help, as do the details about your setups. I'm not seeing any complaints here that are NOT on a mobile platform -- i.e. an iPad or a Kindle -- though it's possible that others might simply not have mentioned that they are on a different platform entirely.

I do see the problems (with the login window and then with the pulldown menu) on my own iPad. I'll take them to the developers to get them resolved.

Meanwhile, yes, the password window for the login screen does work, though that is not at all obvious. There is a direct URL for logging in: https://www.dailykos.com/login
    And to access your profile page once you are logged in, go to https://www.dailykos.com/user/[username] where [username] is what you would guess it would be. The workarounds may come in handy other times also.

Thanks again for your support of the mission of the site.

14. 14 Posted by SBvotes on 26 Sep, 2018 12:03 AM

And, thank you for your response! I appreciate it, and the info you provided!

Sent from my iPad

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Sep, 2018 02:26 AM

You are welcome.
    The ad is down (at least from iPad and perhaps more generally, too) while the developers investigate further.

16. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 26 Sep, 2018 02:26 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac