The new ad

Cmae

19 Sep, 2018 02:07 PM

Hello, i use a tablet and the ad has made it almost impossible for me to use. I don't know all of the correct terminology, it is just terrible. The diaries now bleed into the ad, the content is unreadable because the words are light grey and bleed into the ad space, everything scrolls independently from each other, when I try to make a comment, it is just a floating box. The other comments are grey ad unreadable. I love this site and am very upset. It is virtually unusable. I have never minded the ads, this though, makes the site functionally impossible to use.
   Cmae

1. 1 Posted by BoiseBlue on 19 Sep, 2018 03:37 PM

Same on Android/Chrome. I saw there's a diary about it but I can't read it!!!!! Most of the screen is blacked out and zooming in just makes it worse.

2. 2 Posted by agnessue on 19 Sep, 2018 04:02 PM

How do we get rid of the Wildlife ad. Cannot read articles on my tablet. And I will not pay anything.

3. 3 Posted by Cmae on 19 Sep, 2018 04:10 PM

Yes, i forgot i have a samsung tablet and use chrome browser. The screen shot is just about how it looks for me, too. Thanks

4. 4 Posted by Cmae on 19 Sep, 2018 04:48 PM

It is now back to normal for me. Thank you for all of your hard work.
       Thank you, cmae

5. Cmae closed this discussion on 19 Sep, 2018 05:35 PM.

6. Daily Kos Staff re-opened this discussion on 19 Sep, 2018 06:12 PM

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Sep, 2018 06:12 PM

Thanks, Cmae. I'm not sure what might have changed for you on your tablet, but glad to hear the problem cleared up.

BoiseBlue, can you try some other experiments with screen width rather than the zoom? I'm not sure what your display options might be. We're continuing to investigate how to ensure there are no problems like this for users going forward.

agnessue, sorry to ask for more details, but what tablet do you have? And can you please be more specific than to say you can't read articles?

Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

8. 6 Posted by BoiseBlue on 19 Sep, 2018 06:23 PM

I tried a few things but that was the clearest it ever got for me. Before zooming in it looked like this. I tried portrait and landscape, and no matter what I did the original screenshot was the closest I came to seeing even a little bit of white background.

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Sep, 2018 06:45 PM

Wow, that is quite a screenshot! Thank you for it.
    Now, this is unlikely, I realize, but do you happen to have any extensions or add-ons for Chrome on your Android? We're finding that even something that seems innocuous sends the site way off-kilter when the ad is loaded too.
    IF you do, then it would be illuminating if you could disable them to see if site performance improves.
    Thanks again.

10. 8 Posted by BoiseBlue on 19 Sep, 2018 06:54 PM

Nope, on my phone I don't have any extensions or add ons.

11. 9 Posted by Cmae on 19 Sep, 2018 08:58 PM

Well, back in it. D KOS is now back to looking and acting like what boiseblue above describes exactly. I am using a samsung tablet and chrome browser.
     Thanks cmae

12. 10 Posted by BoiseBlue on 19 Sep, 2018 09:21 PM

Fwiw, still on chrome and Android and the site is readable again. Still have to zoom to be able to read articles, but the blackouts aren't there anymore. Hope they're able to fix it for all platforms soon.

13. 11 Posted by Cmae on 19 Sep, 2018 09:30 PM

So do I. I have looked in my settings and stuff, nothing is different. It was normal for awhile, then it went nuts again. Darn.

14. 12 Posted by BoiseBlue on 19 Sep, 2018 10:06 PM

Alright, we're back to unreadable. It was fine for a minute.....

15. 13 Posted by blueinthedeepre... on 19 Sep, 2018 10:09 PM

Am having same problem on HP notebook in Chrome

16. 14 Posted by BoiseBlue on 19 Sep, 2018 10:11 PM

Last screenshot, just to show scrolling doesn't work. There's no way out of it.

Thanks to the tech crew- I know y'all are working on it. It was fine for a few hours then went back to chaos.

17. 15 Posted by BoiseBlue on 19 Sep, 2018 10:13 PM

BTW- this was zoomed in so only the comments showed, but the borders from the ad don't go away. And as you can probably see, it's impossible to read print that small.

18. 16 Posted by kaja on 20 Sep, 2018 03:16 AM

I have a 2014 Macbook. The same thing happened each time I visited DK today.

19. 17 Posted by Jean (unverifie... on 20 Sep, 2018 03:38 AM

STOP THIS NOW. My computer has been hijacked & I'm pissed.

20. Support Staff 18 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 Sep, 2018 04:25 AM

Sorry that you have all encountered such difficulties.
    I understand that at least for the time being, the ad has been suspended for display on all tablets. That should help most if not all of you.
    If you're still getting some carryover, which I guess is possible, please clear your cache and cookies for the site and restart your device.
    Let's see if that helps.
    Thanks much for your patience.

21. 19 Posted by Cmae on 20 Sep, 2018 04:47 AM

I guess I am one of the unlucky ones. I did as you suggested and everything is exactly the same. I am hoping this will be back to normal tomorrow.
      Thanks, I am sure you guys are working hard on this. Cmae

22. 20 Posted by Susan (unverifi... on 20 Sep, 2018 06:12 AM

I have a Lenovo laptop/thinkpad workstation with a large screen. I see mostly ad, with a narrow "article" portion. The recommended list/sidebar is gone. So it is not just tablet users who are finding this awful.

23. 21 Posted by Cmae on 20 Sep, 2018 01:24 PM

Good morning,
     Thought I would give you an update. I just logged on and everything is back to normal, at least for me. I will let you know if it stops working again.
      Thanks, cmae

24. 22 Posted by Park Wagers (un... on 20 Sep, 2018 01:34 PM

On my MacBook Pro with browser Safari the ad takes over the screen for 2 days now!
    There are other blogs I can use.

25. 23 Posted by Judy (unverifie... on 20 Sep, 2018 02:26 PM

I am having this problem on my HP laptop. You have made your site unusable.

26. 24 Posted by occupystephanie on 20 Sep, 2018 02:45 PM

It is far too close to election to try a new way to display ads. It looks awful on my lap top. Is this a permanent change? I was hoping to do an article but this may be one hurdle too many.

27. Cmae closed this discussion on 31 Oct, 2018 04:35 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac