Editing a diary/story

cohenzee

07 Sep, 2018 02:20 AM

I know there is a supposed to be a link on the left side of your published diaries to either update them or edit them. However, I gone through a number of my diaries/stories, and in none of them do I see a link to edit my diaries. I only write for Top Comments where I am a BlogEditor in the group. Shouldn't I be able to edit my own diaries either way? Please help

1. 1 Posted by siab on 07 Sep, 2018 07:54 AM

Getting picky about the location; (this works for laptops and desktops - it's anyone's guess where your phone or other device would show it)

Left side, below the top image, at the same level of the page that the text begins, there is a cluster of links. If it's someone else's diary, you will see Add to Blog, and RSS. If it's your diary, you will see those two plus Update and Edit.

Just below that cluster, there is another cluster with the heading PUBLISHED TO, which lists all the groups that have published the diary. If you got down to that, go back up a bit.

It is easy for the eye to skip over that cluster, but I hope this makes it simpler.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Sep, 2018 03:29 PM

Hello, cohenzee, and thanks for your question.

Yes, you are quite right, you should be able to edit your own posts after publication. Does the description that siab helpfully offered enable you to locate the link you need?

If it's truly not present on your posts (of course, visible only when you are logged in) then please feel free to return.

We appreciate your support of and contributions to the site.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 07 Sep, 2018 03:29 PM.

4. cohenzee re-opened this discussion on 07 Sep, 2018 09:24 PM

5. 3 Posted by cohenzee on 07 Sep, 2018 09:24 PM

I am using a desktop to write and try to edit my diaries, Starting at the top image, the Top Comments banner, I see on the left side, in order:

Published to and the list of places my diary has been published

Tags and the tags I entered for the diary

Edit Tags

Tag History

On exactly zero of the diaries I looked at last night (>10) did I see any of the other things siab mentioned in their comment. Prior to the update to DKos5, I had no problems editing my dairies. I also do not see the link to Add to Blog on other people's diaries.

Where do I go from here?

Thank you for your prompt response.

6. 4 Posted by cohenzee on 10 Sep, 2018 06:07 PM

Bump

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Sep, 2018 08:07 PM

Hello again.
    Thanks for the explanation. It is indeed curious.
    Our first diagnostic step then is to ask you to open a private/incognito window in your browser and then to go to Daily Kos and login. What do you see on your posts then? By going to private mode, you deactivate any add-ons or extensions you may have on your browser, which in turn may interfere with the performance of our site on your system.
    I'll be interested in hearing your update.

8. 6 Posted by cohenzee on 11 Sep, 2018 12:03 AM

Hi,

I opened up Daily Kos in a private window, logged out and logged back in and still see the same page set up without any links to edit my diary. I forgot to tell you that I am using Firefox as my browser.

9. 7 Posted by david78209 on 11 Sep, 2018 01:35 AM

I turned off my ad blocker for the Daily Kos page and those options, including edit, reappeared. I don’t remember changing settings on the ad blocker but I may have accepted an update for it, and that may have changed things.

David Grant

10. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Sep, 2018 02:51 AM

Thanks for the information.
    It is quite plausible that the adblocker is the culprit. It's also apparently plausible, alas, that the adblockers are NOT deactivated in a private window, or at least not always.
    It's unfortunate for this to be so, but we can adjust to keep pace if need be.

11. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 11 Sep, 2018 02:51 AM.

12. cohenzee re-opened this discussion on 11 Sep, 2018 06:29 PM

13. 9 Posted by cohenzee on 11 Sep, 2018 06:29 PM

David,

Thanks for that tip. It solved the problem immediately, I wonder what update the adblocker is the issue. Since I'm a subscriber, the adblocker is irrelevant for Dkos, but it's still strange.

14. 10 Posted by Eyesbright on 11 Sep, 2018 09:42 PM

Cohenzee,

I run AdBlockerPlus (ABP, same as AdBlocker but updated) and it never seems to cause problems. Perhaps the updated version makes that much difference? It's worth looking at. I'm a subscriber, too, so that's not it.

15. 11 Posted by cohenzee on 11 Sep, 2018 09:56 PM

Eyesbright,

That's the same program I am using. Very weird.

16. 12 Posted by david78209 on 11 Sep, 2018 11:19 PM

Long ago, in medical school, I learned that if you want things to make sense (at least most of the time) go back to a hard science like biology or chemistry. It seems the same applies to computers – things don’t make sense quite often.

David Grant

17. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 Sep, 2018 01:01 AM

LOLOL. Computer software quite often behaves in ways it "shouldn't." Appreciate your help in getting this issue resolved!

18. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 12 Sep, 2018 01:01 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac