Administration of Groups

P Carey

25 Aug, 2018 03:48 PM

I've noticed that Daily Kos no longer allows administration of groups. I was able to edit the profile of Morning Open Thread after about a dozen attempts (the original administrator of the group couldn't do it at all). But the formatting was changed and odd characters added when it finally saved; my attempts at correcting those errors have been unsuccessful.

I also note that even though I started New Orleans Nation, I'm no longer the administrator and can't seem to edit anything on that group.

So, a few questions:

(1) Is there a way to distinguish administrator from editor from contributor now? Or does everyone invited to join a group now have authority of an editor or administrator of the group?

(2) What is the proper way to edit a profile on a group since the "edit profile" and "save" functions don't appear to be correct?

(3) Since publishing solely to a group has been changed and the administrators and contributors done away with, was there a diary posted that you can point me to that explains these changes?

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 25 Aug, 2018 07:09 PM

I think you know I'm not the Help Desk. I do, however, spend some time on admin'ing groups (also started one myself a while back), etc. Here's what I found that may help you:

Go to the list of members (not just the Group's cover page) and look at the "role." You'll see that you still show as "Blog Admin" on the New Orleans group (the only one I checked for that specific thing).

As to the other problems you're experiencing, how long has it been since you cleared your cache and history? That's a good thing to do regularly and I recommend you do it ASAP. It's also a good idea to occasionally log completely out of everything and reboot your computer. There are system updates (your computer's system) that just can't take effect until you do that. I highly recommend doing both those things today - and I'll bet you see all (or surely most) of the problems you outlined will go away.

Good luck! I'll be interested in reading the results.

2. 2 Posted by P Carey on 25 Aug, 2018 11:59 PM

Thanks Eyesbright--I appreciate the response (and figure the admins will get back at some point during the week).

I appreciate the point about "role." Hadn't realized the change in format from the cover page which, I thought, used to show roles on that list (now everyone appears to be an editor).

I clear my cache and history regularly and I've signed off and on several times in the past week. Both computers I use are rebooted on a daily basis. Also, I used a Mac Pro at home and a PC at work--and both appear to be having the identical issues with editing the Group text. Still, I'll give all those ideas a try tonight and see if editing is possible.

Again, thanks for the help.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 26 Aug, 2018 12:37 AM

You're welcome. I wish it would have been the right "help" to solve *all* your problems.

4. 4 Posted by elenacarlena on 26 Aug, 2018 10:41 PM

I just checked one of the groups I administer, and everything seems to be functioning fine.

Another thought: Are you sure you're logged in? Sometimes DKos unlogs me for no known reason and things don't look all that different as far as reading. Of course much of your functionality will have disappeared if that happened.

A further thought: Try it again. Maybe it was a temporary glitch.

Good luck!

5. 5 Posted by P Carey on 27 Aug, 2018 12:32 AM

Thanks for the response elena. I did eventually get the typos corrected after about a dozen tries (and I did what eyebright suggested several times). Given the number of ads I get when I'm not logged in, I can usually tell pretty quickly--but I did sign off and on several times just in case.

For now, I think the problem has resolved itself but I have to say that given the number of times (over a two-week period) I've had to go in and re-edit what I added this truly seems to be a glitch in the system rather than user error (which is always my first thought).

Thanks, though, I appreciate the suggestions.

6. 6 Posted by Eyesbright on 27 Aug, 2018 12:40 AM

P Carey,
    There's little doubt in my mind that it is, indeed, DK system error. A couple of days ago (8/24/2018), there were multiple complaints during the morning about DK system glitches, severe enough to produce an entry in the status report: https://status.dailykosmedia.com/post/177347162630/some-intermittent-issues

7. 7 Posted by elenacarlena on 27 Aug, 2018 06:04 AM

Hmm, that link says that refreshing the page usually fixes the problem. Well, hopefully they'll keep working on it until we no longer have to refresh or otherwise fiddle around!

I'm on Chrome, if you want to try that as possibly a more compatible browser, if you're not already using it.

Good luck with it, P.

8. 8 Posted by P Carey on 02 Sep, 2018 01:01 PM

I'll go ahead and close this discussion. I think staff has had enough time to respond and choses not to. Okay, pretty typical in my experience.

9. P Carey closed this discussion on 02 Sep, 2018 01:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac