Email replies

Cmae

24 Aug, 2018 02:49 PM

Hello
    I don't know if this something you can help me with, my comments are set to receive email replies, but the last few days I have not been receiving them. I have checked my settings here, and in my email and can find nothing wrong. I have looked everywhere if can think of. I do receive replies in my comment stream, I think it is called. I am hoping there is a glitch somewhere.

Thank you. Caterina Sims. (Cmae)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Aug, 2018 04:03 PM

Hello, Cmae, and thanks for asking.

I'm sorry that you're having problems with your preference not sticking. Let me make sure that we're talking about the same thing -- the option that you have in every comment whether to receive alerts via email if someone replies to that comment. (It's viewable in the draft mode of your comment only, and the option is ON if you have a bright blue box with a checkmark.)

That option is supposed to stay on, or off, until you uncheck or check it -- but we have heard complaints from users, though typically they're noting that the box gets checked again when they don't want it to be!

There is NO other place to control it, other than through the option in every comment box. But it's quite possible that our cookies have gotten mixed up.

I'm going to suggest that you clear your cache and cookies for Daily Kos on whatever browser you're using. Logoff, close your browser, and reboot your system. When you login again, you should be starting with the default setting, which is ON.

Please see if that helps, and let us know if it doesn't.

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 Aug, 2018 04:03 PM.

3. Cmae re-opened this discussion on 24 Aug, 2018 10:42 PM

4. 2 Posted by Cmae on 24 Aug, 2018 10:42 PM

Hello, I followed your suggestions, they didn't fix the problem. Earlier today signed up for the email resubmision. The one dealing with spam, I think? Thanks.    Cmae

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Daily Kos Staff<[email blocked]> wrote: #yiv6988511584 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv6988511584 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

5. 3 Posted by Cmae on 25 Aug, 2018 05:33 PM

Hello, I don't know if I am doing this correctly, I submitted my information yesterday to block my emails with the action alert, i think it is called, it said to wait one business day and then request my email account be resubmitted to be added on your email list again?
    I also see that you sent a reply to my second email, and it didn't go through. I hope I am doing this right, I am terrible at this kind of thing. Thanks, Cmae

6. 4 Posted by Cmae on 27 Aug, 2018 03:42 PM

Hi, I haven't received a reply, hoping there is something I can do, I am still not receiving any email replies to my comments. I followed the previous suggestions. I followed the Action alert prompt, and have asked that my email account be resubscribed.
        Thank you, Cmae

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 06 Sep, 2018 07:42 PM

Hello, Cmae. I am sorry to say that this is a mixture of a couple of different and unrelated topics now. Let's see if we can untangle them.

You originally asked about this: "my comments are set to receive email replies, but the last few days I have not been receiving them." I encouraged you to clear your cache and cookies, which you said you did do without success. I'm sorry that didn't work, but what you did next wasn't helpful either. I do realize you were looking for a solution to your problem and you had no idea that you would wind up with additional complications.

People often have no clue about what I am going to explain below, and for that matter there's no real need for most site users to be aware of it. But now it's relevant for you to know.

Basically, what happens on the site related to your comments and your user account has ZERO connection to the Daily Kos Recommended Emails that we send out, or to the Action Alert prompts, or anything connected to them. People can participate on the site without ever getting a Daily Kos Recommended email, and many do. Even more people receive the DK Recommended emails without ever having a user account at the site. They're separate processes, independent domains if you will. Do you want to get Daily Kos Recommended Emails? Do you want to get the Action Alerts? If so, then that is a totally separate question, and we should talk about all of that in a completely new thread here at Help Desk. It has nothing to do with your original question, though, so for now I am setting that whole issue aside.

Let's return to your original question. If you make a comment on the site and you want to get a notice via your email that someone has replied to it (or to any "daughter comment," as replies are called), then you need to make sure that the little box next to this line below your draft comment is checked: "Email me when someone replies to my comment." As you see from the attached screenshot, the checkbox shows as white-on-blue when the email reply option is checked.

Try it. The difference between the checked and unchecked condition for that line is very obvious.

Now, we want and expect this option to be something people don't have to think about a lot, so we designed it so that it stays stable, or as we say "sticky," whichever condition it's in -- until the next time that it is checked or UNchecked. In theory, anyway. Lately we've been hearing that it does NOT stay stuck, either on or off.

Since your cookie clearing appears not to have worked, then for now all I can tell you is to make sure you get into the habit of looking to see whether the box is checked for any comment of yours you have an interest in following. When the box is checked for a given comment, you will get email notification of replies to it. That part of the process appears to be solid.

I hope this helps. Please open a NEW ticket here if there is anything related to the Daily Kos Recommended Email or the Action Alerts that you want to resolve.

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

8. 6 Posted by Cmae on 06 Sep, 2018 07:51 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. Cmae.
    Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Daily Kos Staff<[email blocked]> wrote: #yiv6495299090 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv6495299090 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

9. Cmae closed this discussion on 06 Sep, 2018 07:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac