APR crashes Firefox -- every day

rugbymom

26 Jul, 2018 01:52 PM

Hi, I'm baffled by this. For weeks now, almost every day, reading and writing comments in the morning APR causes Firefox to crash. I've reported it repeatedly to Mozilla, but since it doesn't happen on any other site -- and rarely in any other diary -- I'm wondering if there's something weird about the APR coding or something. I know that comments tend to pile up and get added to quickly; is that it? Is anyone else having this experience?
(I am running Windows 10, laptop, most up-to-date version of Firefox.).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Jul, 2018 04:57 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

I can investigate behavior on the same setup to see what I can reproduce. Firefox on OSX runs fine, I can attest already.

There's not anything special about the coding for the APRs, though I suppose it's possible that the sheer volume of the embedded content can be difficult for the browser to handle. So, for that matter, do you notice that the longer APRs (say, Greg's on Saturday, Mark's on Sunday, or Meteor Blades' on Thursday) elicit these problems more than the others?

It occurs to me that since you are a frequent participant on the site that it would be worth your while to clear the cache and cookies for Daily Kos, and possibly your local storage as well, as frequently as you can. Regular site use can fill up the browser-based data reservoirs, so to speak, and thus inhibit good information flow from code-heavy stories like the APRs.

I'll leave this ticket open to see if other users are encountering similar issues and give them the chance to weigh in accordingly.

2. 2 Posted by rugbymom on 16 Aug, 2018 11:41 PM

Thanks, I've been trying clearing the cache, a nuisance but I should be able to get in the habit of it. I suspect it is the size of the APR files plus all the stuff people add into the comments, all interesting but it adds up.

Betsy

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 12:57 PM
     Subject: Re: APR crashes Firefox -- every day [Problems #154789]

#yiv3340408592 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv3340408592 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac