Disappearing stories.

George (unverified)

25 Jun, 2018 04:58 PM

When I get a notification that there is a story from DK in my inbox, I tap on it and the screen goes to Gmail and immediately leaves the screen. There is nothing in my inbox, anywhere where I can find it and open it. This has been going on for many months. If this can’t be fixed I would like to stop receiving notifications. Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 26 Jun, 2018 10:17 PM

One of the tech admins may have a different take, but from your description, it sounds as if you are getting redirected. Notifications should not behave like that, so it is most likely on your end. There are several reasons that can happen,one of the most common being malware. However, you may want to check your settings.

Do you have a malware removal program? Might try running that in Safe Mode. Also, run Disc Cleanup and clear the cache.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Jun, 2018 08:21 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

It's possible also that your email provider doesn't handle the links in our email very well. That can produce all kinds of failures of delivery, including potentially the one you are experiencing.

If you were able to look at a link in one of our emails, you would see that it is typically displayed the way you expect to see a link: blue and underlined. But the actual URL for the link — the one your email and browser have to interpret to redirect you there — is NOT the URL attached to that story title (or petition page) as it is published on our site. Instead, the URL for every one of our emailed stories starts with http://click.actionnetwork.org/ followed by a very long string of characters. That’s because we count the clicks and then redirect you back to the site.

If a link doesn’t work for you — either it doesn’t display as a story title or as an instruction, in blue, underlined text, or it simply fails to redirect as you expect — then the cause is quite likely related to something your email provider does, or your browser. If you have a firewall on your browser, for example, you’ll need to permit the firewall to accept all links starting with http://click.actionnetwork.org. Email hosts may have similar protections. Changing those settings is something that you will have to do on your own, if you decide that is what you would like to do.

Thanks for your interest in keeping up-to-date with the latest political developments and the activism we sorely need to protect our country.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2018 08:21 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac