zip code

G. David Jones (unverified)

08 Jun, 2018 09:29 PM

Would you please inform people that my zip code,57790 2006, is valid, issued by the USPS. Stop telling me it is invalid!!!

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 08 Jun, 2018 09:52 PM

If you posted it just like you wrote it here, it wouldn't be valid. It needs the "dash" in the middle: 57790-2006.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 09 Jun, 2018 12:13 AM

Hello, and thanks for your query here.

I would like to figure out what is going on for you, because it actually does not appear to be necessary in all circumstances for the hyphen to be preset between the 5-digit and the 4-digit section of the zip code for it to be valid.

If you want to take the time to share the URL of a petition or two that gave you this error message, we might be able to help track down the problem.

It occurs to me, however, that there is one particular case where this might arise. Some of our petitions are linked to the offices of elected officials. Their offices actually have a fair amount of control over the format of the fields in our petitions -- enough, for example, for only certain forms of address to be available. (Some members of Congress may offer M. as an option, while others do not.) Perhaps the requirement of a hyphen between the zipcode sections arises only in that context. I guess we shall see.

Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

3. 3 Posted by Dennis G Blair ... on 24 Sep, 2018 07:28 AM

Suddenly, after years of using my overseas APO ( military) address, my ZIP Code - 09468 - generates an error message. So... I used my VOTING address which is the Titusville, Florida, County Courthouse, ZIP: 32780. Your system doesn't like that either. Have you been hacked to deter any responses? It's logical, Captain.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac