difficulty with photos

anotherdemocrat

25 May, 2018 01:55 AM

I read Gwenned's diary of the 18th about photos, I have a similar problem. Mine will load, but I can't put them where I want. I wrote the text I wanted, hit enter a couple of times to make space for pictures, wrote some more & so on. It's spaced all wrong & I can't move the pictures, hittinf "enter" won't move the text down where it's beside the right picture... Can you see the draft diary I have: "Non-political diary, just a place to share pictures & say thanks" The text isn't by the picture I'm talking about.. Thanks for your help!

1. 1 Posted by Besame on 25 May, 2018 06:32 PM

AFAIK to move an image up/down in a story draft or comment, you need to take it out and re-load it - using space/enter doesn't move it. You cannot place photos in a blank draft all spaced out. You need the text first or to add the photos below a text section or other images as you write. After writing, you can move photos within the text.

I move photos by clicking on the upper left corner of the image to highlight/select it, then use (on Mac) Control + X to cut/copy. I move the cursor to where I want the image and then paste it in. Using the thin grey line you can insert below the image helps hold it there apart from the text below. That edit icon is in the second row of icons and looks like parallel lines on a page with one line dividing them.

You can move an image right/center/left without cut/paste. To do this, select the image (using same click on top left corner method) and then use the edit icons in the top row for left - right - center justified alignment. Images look the biggest when centered.

I'm not the Support person - just someone who has used lots of photos in my stories. I was looking for another problem report here and saw your question and responded. Hope it helps.

2. 2 Posted by anotherdemocrat on 25 May, 2018 06:55 PM

I did that - deleted the photos, typed my text & re-inserted the picture, and it is by the text for the next photo, or the one after that.They just will not go where I want. Someone else suggested creating a table, but when I paste in the text, I can't see anything, and since we don't have "print preview" anymore......

3. 3 Posted by anotherdemocrat on 25 May, 2018 07:25 PM

I figured it out!! I deleted all the pictures, then added them back in & centered them. So, it's not all artsy, the pictures are in a row down the middle, but they're by the right text. Woot!!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 25 May, 2018 08:22 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking. (Thanks also for your input, Besame.) Glad you figured out a reasonable workaround.
    We do know that the story editor leaves something to be desired in terms of its actual WYSIWYG promise, especially with images. We have some improvements in the offing, but that may not happen for quite a while, unfortunately. Thanks for hanging in there to achieve a compromise.

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 25 May, 2018 08:22 PM.

6. anotherdemocrat re-opened this discussion on 25 May, 2018 11:15 PM

7. 5 Posted by anotherdemocrat on 25 May, 2018 11:15 PM

thanks for your help! If you want to see it: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/5/25/1766912/-Non-political-diary-just-a-place-to-share-pictures-say-thanks#comment_70255418
    --------------------------------------------
    On Fri, 5/25/18, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Re: difficulty with photos [Problems #148506]
     To: [email blocked]
     Date: Friday, May 25, 2018, 3:23 PM

#yiv1707015654 pre {
     width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px
     2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}
     #yiv1707015654 blockquote {
     margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

// Please reply above this
     line

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 May, 2018 10:25 PM

Awww. Very kind of you to supply the link.
    I'm terribly sorry about your friend. That sounds like the worst event of a very challenging year. But I'm glad that your other friends rallied round to make a fabulous trip possible for you. All the supportive and appreciative comments you got on your story are validation for you, too.
    Hoping for better times ahead!

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 29 May, 2018 10:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac