I can't add my name to the "Recommend" list

byzantium

10 May, 2018 02:32 AM

I'm logged in, obviously. I can post a comment. But when I click the recommend button, I just see the list of existing recommends. I'm not a frequent recommender so this is like not being allowed to buy ice cream or something.

Seriously, though, is there something wrong with my browser or is it a site issue? FIrefox 60 64bit, running on Mac OS X Sierra.

1. 1 Posted by byzantium on 10 May, 2018 02:34 AM

Actually it seems to be an intermittent problem. I left this help page and successful recommended a comment. And now I'm in another diary and can't. Mystery.

2. 2 Posted by cmdv on 10 May, 2018 12:11 PM

Same problem here- I really want to recommend some of the comments about Social Security and the option to do that it not available.

3. 3 Posted by siab on 11 May, 2018 10:46 AM

Comments are recommendable for only 24 hours after their posting, although they can be replied to for up to nine or ten days after diary publication. This can be annoying, especially if you're looking at comment threads which last for more than a day or two, but if it's not a new diary that you're reading, keep an eye on the timestamp at the top of the comment..

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 May, 2018 05:42 PM

Thanks for your query.

Yes, all comments besides Tip Jars close to recommends after 24 hours. Tip Jars can be recommended for a week. Usually if you try to recommend a stale comment there will be a warning message if the comment is actually beyond that 24 hour (or 7 day) period; most of the time the option to recommend will not appear at all when that time has clearly elapsed. Loading and caching of comments means that there can be a little bit of inconsistency.

Just to complicate things a little more, all comments can be replied to as long as the story is open for comments, which is a nine-day period after publication.

It's also true that on occasion a recommend doesn't "catch" right away, especially on mobile platforms. That seems to be a connectivity issue at play.

Hope that helps.

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 15 May, 2018 05:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac