To delete, or not to delete...

Jennifer Lee

01 May, 2018 12:21 AM

A few months ago, I ceased getting DK emails. I asked for help, and was told that I'd unsubscribed from some unknown something that was sent by, as I recall, the "Action Network", and that I had to sign an oath (!) that I would never do that again, which I disliked, but I did it. I believe I asked how I was supposed to know exactly who all was represented by such a network, and got no answer. All was well, except at least 2 times, I caught myself almost un-subbing from a campaign email, and saw "Daily Kos" mentioned, and cancelled the unsub. I don't know if those are the things I must not unsub, but today I got no DK. So, I don't know if I did the wrong thing again, or what. I've become unsubscribeaphobic, and I HAVE to occasionally unsub things! I get way over 100 emails/day, and spend lots of time reading DK! Can someone help? Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 May, 2018 04:11 AM

Thanks for asking.

I'll answer both parts of your question. :)

First, Action Network is the organization that manages our emails. The content is ours and the list is ours, but they process the outgoing messages.

Second, today they happened to have a massive glitch in their system so that our email delivery today was seriously compromised. They're not sure how soon it will be fixed, but we are certainly hoping it is soon.

You are still on the list and you may yet receive today's email albeit belatedly.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 01 May, 2018 04:11 AM.

3. Jennifer Lee re-opened this discussion on 01 May, 2018 01:28 PM

4. 2 Posted by Jennifer Lee on 01 May, 2018 01:28 PM

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me, please, is it safe for me to unsubscribe from anything that does NOT mention Daily Kos after I've clicked on "unsubscribe"? Or should I be looking for a mention of Action Network, and avoiding unsubbing from anything mentioning THAT? They said I must not unsub from anything that is managed by Action Network, but when I asked who all that was, I got no answer. I KNOW I did not previously unsub Daily Kos. No way! So I don't know what I did wrong, last time. I have been avoiding unsubbing any candidates' emails that mention DK. Thanks again for your help!

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 12:11 AM
     Subject: Re: To delete, or not to delete... [Problems #146666]

#yiv8537359207 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv8537359207 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

5. 3 Posted by Jennifer Lee on 01 May, 2018 02:31 PM

I'm sorry? That seems to be a non sequitur. I should have entitled my question "To unsubscribe or not to unsubscribe..." I guess, but my question has nothing to do with deleting someone's comments. It's concerned with losing my access to Daily Kos if I accidentally unsubscribe from any email sent to me through the Action Netwoork. I was trying to get the kind person who previously emailed me to give me a little more info, as to how to recognize emails that come to me through Action Network. (This confusion is especially ironic, because immediately before reading this, I posted something online about the importance of a free press!)

Sent: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 10:11 AM

#yiv8695130579 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv8695130579 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 May, 2018 02:16 PM

Hmm. This is an interesting question.

The fundamental concern that Action Network has about putting people back on their list is avoiding a high level of spam reports. There are watchdog entities to monitor emailers and ensure that they're not disregarding spam notices. If a pattern of overriding those notices is found, the emailers could be in big trouble.

Ordinary unsubscribing -- the request to be removed from a list -- is not the same as initiating a refusal to all emails from an organization on the grounds that they're sending spam.

Does that help clarify the situation for you? Unsubscribing should be fine. What you agreed to do is not to mark Action Network emails as spam.

Also, please note that our Daily Kos emails will come from campaigns AT dailykos DOT com (although it is true as well that we collaborate with other organizations and campaigns on a regular basis, so that you could receive emails from them).

As for recognizing emails coming from Action Network, there are two key places to look. One is the sending address. For us, it'll be this: "[email blocked] via sg.actionnetwork.org" The other is the footer for the email. Scroll down, and you'll see language stating the sender. For Daily Kos Recommendeds, the line reads "Sent via ActionNetwork.org."

Hope all this helps.

7. 5 Posted by Jennifer Lee on 02 May, 2018 06:01 PM

Thank you! I will be careful what things I mark spam.

Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:37 PM

#yiv8002213653 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv8002213653 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 03 May, 2018 03:14 PM

Excellent. Thanks.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 03 May, 2018 03:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac