Petitions from Kos

Alaskalady

26 Apr, 2018 06:49 AM

Some petitions that come from Daily Kos do not give information that I need, to decide whether to sign them. They simply state a desired result, with no idea of to whom the petition is directed. If they are connected with legislation, they do not say who started them, or give anything to identify that particular petition. This means I cannot even tell if it is the same petition I have already signed. I do not sign these, but might if given adequate information. There are so many petitions constantly hitting my email, that I certainly do not need a lot of unidentified ones among them. If people want signatures on their petitions, they might try giving more relevant information.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Apr, 2018 03:35 PM

Hello, and thanks for your comment.

Yes, of course, you are correct. Some petitions are more complete and informative than others. It's up to you to decide which ones you do sign. There's no problem at all if you refrain from signing most or even all of them that we distribute.

We appreciate your support of the mission of the site in whatever way you choose to manifest it.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 26 Apr, 2018 03:35 PM.

3. Alaskalady re-opened this discussion on 26 Apr, 2018 03:39 PM

4. 2 Posted by Alaskalady on 26 Apr, 2018 04:19 PM

There is a problem with this way of making petitions that must not be obvious to you. Sending out petitions without adequate information to make an informed decision on whether to sign them, is treating the recipients like Trump's knee-jerk core. Blind obedience is no better on the liberal end of our political spectrum than than it is on the conservative side.

The sheer number of petitions that arrive from KOS gets overwhelming. That does not even include all of your popups, which often malfunction and prevent access to the intended site. On top of that, your petitions also show up next to material that one originally followed a link to read. By giving inadequate information in petitions, you force readers to waste time reading a lot of uninformative petitions.

I would rather spend that time writing my own email on a particular subject to my Senators and Congressman, which is what I did before I found KOS. I just did not do it as often and on as many subjects.

This adds up to a dread of Kos, due to overload. As far as I can tell, it is all/inundation or nothing. Do you already have some alternative to this that I do not know about? If not, is it possible to offer some sort of Kos Lite, so we can get headlines or a link to your site daily, in email?

The overwhelm from Kos now, is so serious, that I am considering sending Kos to spam. I expect others share my problem. It might help keep your audience larger if you can give us a way to use your information without getting overwhelmed. Thanks.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Apr, 2018 02:39 AM

I can appreciate your concern about information overload. It is absolutely much more effective, in any case, for you (or anyone) to write individual letters, postcards, or emails to your own representatives.

It's regrettably uncommon for people to do that on a regular basis, however, so "clicktivism" has developed. It has pluses and minuses, to be sure.

Let me list some options for you to consider. You can opt out of some lists without disengaging from all of them. You can choose to sign up via a secondary email address that you read less often. You can set up your email (for most providers, anyway) to filter our emails and redirect them immediately to their own special folder, from which you can retrieve them at your leisure. You can choose not to read most of the emails we send, making exceptions only when you find the subject line particularly compelling. You can unsubscribe from the email lists altogether.

If you feel especially beset by the popups on the page, you can choose to subscribe to the site, for $40 annually. Please note that this is an option available to you as a registered site user, and is completely independent from your participation on any email list.

It's tough to balance all these competing interests, to be sure. We're doing our best to disseminate our message and to support those of our coalition partners as well. Sometimes that does result in a lot of information being directed outward.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac