opening screen on PC happening right now

Abinold

13 Mar, 2018 09:26 PM

My dkos opening screen always includes the front page, then community to the right, the rec list under that, then recent diaries under that. They come with pics, often.
The recent diaries section has vanished, and the pics are gone.
I wonder what's going on? A slow crash?
aaand the most shared section is gone too. even when I close the page and start over, opening the site fresh.

1. 1 Posted by Abinold on 13 Mar, 2018 09:29 PM

and now the 'most shared' section is gone too. photos accompanying diaries only in the 'community' section.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Mar, 2018 09:34 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

We have had some site loading problems today that we're working to correct. For most folks, the site has worked, just too slowly. Please try a hard refresh of your site. Clearing your cache and cookies would probably be a good idea too, in case some of the previous delaying code is still in your cache from the site.

Let us know if that doesn't help.

3. 3 Posted by Abinold on 13 Mar, 2018 09:37 PM

Thanks for this. Will do.

4. 4 Posted by bakeneko on 13 Mar, 2018 09:40 PM

Just did both, problem persists. Only "Community Spotlight" and "Recommend List" are visible on the right-hand side of the main page.
    Photos with blogs appear once I start scrolling down the page. But "Recent" is still AWOL.

5. 5 Posted by According to Fi... on 13 Mar, 2018 09:42 PM

Cleaning the cache, logging in and out and even rebooting (which was suggested to me but I didn't understand how that would help) hasn't worked for me.

The recent diary list on the right side of the web page is gone. I can see recent diaries from under the menu along the top but that is cumbersome.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Mar, 2018 09:53 PM

Uh oh, not good. What OS & browser are you using? Can you send me a screenshot?

And -- by chance -- have you collapsed the headings for those sections in the sidebar? Or is that part of the sidebar completely missing?

This (attached) is how the Front Page can look when the sections are collapsed -- note that the arrows by the headings are pointing right, not down.

(D'oh. Talk about looking but not seeing. Thanks for your persistence, all.)

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Mar, 2018 09:56 PM

Oh, never mind. Yes, quite right, the Recents and Shared should be there too. Checking now.

8. 8 Posted by Eyesbright on 13 Mar, 2018 09:57 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem, though the Front Page and right column were working (as well as it ever does) earlier today.
    i.e the Shared and Recent Stories columns are gone.
    As stated yesterday, I'm using the most recent version of Firefox (58.0.2) and running Windows 7.

9. 9 Posted by According to Fi... on 13 Mar, 2018 10:02 PM

I'm using Chrome on Windows 10.

I tried FireFox and Explorer as well to no avail. All 3 browser don't show Recents or Shared.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Mar, 2018 10:03 PM

Ah ha. Getting input now.
    We had problems with some ads slowing site load, and addressing that has meant the Recents and Most Shared are down for now.
    I'm not sure how long it will take until the developers resolve this fully, but they are working on it as we discuss it here.
    Apologies for not immediately connecting the dots about the problems being related!

11. 11 Posted by bakeneko on 13 Mar, 2018 10:32 PM

Yeah, I noticed that some stuff that shouldn't be loading at all for me as a subscriber, e.g. doubleclick, etc. was slowing down the loading of just about any story I opened.

As According to Fish noted above, you can get to the Recents page off the drop-down menus at the top of the main page, but that loads the complete diaries, not just titles and small preview pics, so takes a long time to scroll through.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 Mar, 2018 03:18 AM

Yes -- although (for future reference, in case this does occur again) it's possible to look at the Recents (or any blog) in list view. Just click the three-stripe "hamburger" icon at the top of the blog, and then you'll see the old-style Perl page list of titles & authors.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac