comments don't stay marked as read

Matt w vt (unverified)

13 Mar, 2018 04:38 PM

It has been often happening lately that when I revisit a post after closing the tab, the comments that were marked as read before are now marked unread. Just now I visited the DK Elections Live Digest ( and all 202 comments were marked unread, even though I'd read at least 100 of them.

I am using Firefox on a Mac and have various plugins installed.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Mar, 2018 08:16 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.
    Yeah, that's got to be frustrating. Couple of suggestions for you.
    One, it is true that some of our features don't work well with certain plug-ins. AdBlocker is one of the worst offenders, but there are several others. If you have DK open in a private window, do you still see the same problems? Deactivating the plug-ins that way is a decent diagnostic.
    Two, I'll leave this post open in case others have similar experiences to report. That'll help us get a better handle on what's happening, if it's something with the site.

2. 2 Posted by Matt w vt (unve... on 14 Mar, 2018 03:42 AM

Thanks! I don't use AdBlocker but I have a tracker blocker so I can turn that off and see if it helps.

3. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 14 Mar, 2018 11:53 AM.

4. Matt w vt re-opened this discussion on 16 Mar, 2018 11:16 AM

5. 3 Posted by Matt w vt (unve... on 16 Mar, 2018 11:16 AM

Deactivating the tracker blocker didn't help. I don't think using a private window would help, would it? I get the idea that private windows don't save exactly the information that would need to be saved for the comments to stay marked.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Mar, 2018 11:33 PM

Yes, you are right about that -- so that standard diagnostic wouldn't really help much in this case, I'm sorry to say. Apologies for tossing it out there without thinking it through, and thanks for picking up on it yourself.

I'll see what is happening on our end relative to this issue. I know it's surfaced before but I'll need to check the latest status.

In any case, unfortunately it might not get addressed quickly. The queue is pretty crowded at the moment, and I can't assess priorities. But we do want our features to work, and so thank you for raising the issue.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 16 Mar, 2018 11:33 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac