I think (hope) DK's system programmers are better than this!

Eyesbright

12 Mar, 2018 09:55 PM

I mentioned this a while back but it's an ongoing problem and a multiple-times/day irritant.

On the Front Page, each of the right column headings has an arrow to minimize display of that category's listings. Clicking the down arrow hides the listings in that particular category (Community Spotlight, Recommended, Shared, Recent Stories). The problem is that it doesn't stay that way for long. Refreshing the page kills the minimization EVERY TIME.

I've tried to analyze any factors that might be a cause, e.g. new entry in Community Spotlight? Nope, changes/additions there are infrequent, usually many hours between. The same seems to apply to all the categories, even Recent Stories, the only one that does have frequent new entries.

I've analyzed how long the minimization sticks and there's no consistency on that factor. I have noticed that occasionally, at random moments, the other three categories will stay minimized but Community Spotlight returns to full display.

I know that slippage can be difficult to diagnose but, at this point, strongly suspect that no one is even trying to correct this. Meantime, my formerly affectionate and loyal feeling for Daily Kos erodes a little more every time I have to minimize those columns (many times/day).

There must be a DK system programmer who has the expertise to fix this. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 Mar, 2018 09:58 PM

Sorry, Eyesbright. I can imagine it's annoying.
    You know the usual drill. We have to be able to replicate it, so we need to know what OS & browser you use.
    Also, if you have any extensions, we need to know whether you have the problem manifest itself when you're using a private/incognito window.
    Thanks for speaking up.

2. 2 Posted by Eyesbright on 12 Mar, 2018 11:15 PM

I use Firefox, latest version, 58.0.2, on Windows 7.
    I don't use private/incognito windows. I do use AdBlocker.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 Mar, 2018 11:45 PM

Ah. Our site regularly has issues with AdBlocker.
    Could you please try using a private window to see if the problem disappears?
    Also, did this issue predate your download of the newest Firefox?
    Thanks again.

4. 4 Posted by Eyesbright on 13 Mar, 2018 02:32 AM

OK, I just spent the last couple of hours in a "private window" and it made no difference whatsoever. Additionally, this issue has been going on for months, long before the latest version of Firefox. I found my original Help Desk comment about this and it's dated November 15, 2017. At that point, I was using Firefox 57.0. Here's that earlier Help Desk discussion:
    https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/discussions/problems/135948-minimize-function-on-front-page-right-side-columns-is-malfunctioning

Note that the ticket stayed open until the Help Desk closed it on February 9, 2018. Ignoring the issue didn't make it go away. :-(

5. 5 Posted by Eyesbright on 19 Mar, 2018 08:23 PM

Bump

6. 6 Posted by Eyesbright on 20 Mar, 2018 10:11 PM

Bump

7. 7 Posted by Eyesbright on 23 Mar, 2018 06:52 PM

Bump

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac