Difficulties with site -- caused by Optimizely?

wordwraith

01 Mar, 2018 05:02 AM

In the last few days I have experienced problems with the site. I'm using Firefox, Windows 7, have plenty of memory, i7 processor. When loading, the site will begin to load, partially appear, then begin loading again. After being on the site for a while, scrolling down a comment thread, the cursor will hang up and go into "circling mode." You can hear the processor speeding up. It will take up to a full minute or so to go back to normal. Sometimes the page will blink out for a second, back and forth to the home page of my browser. Sometimes I will get a message about a script slowing the page. Sometimes the page will hang up completely and the screen will "white out" with the content becoming barely visible. When this happens, I have to completely shut down and restart, a slow process because it's not responsive and I have to wait. This only happens with DK, not other sites.

Ghostery tells me I have a tracker, Optimizely, that is slowing the page. Upon researching Optimizely briefly, it appears that this tracker can cause the exact problems I'm experiencing. It conducts experiments to compare different page configurations, or something like that. If Optimizely is indeed causing these issues, it's making the site very difficult to use. FYI.

WW

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Mar, 2018 03:13 PM

Hello, and thanks for your report.

Yes, indeed, there are many extensions that don't play well with the site (or vice-versa, depending on your point of view). But we can't accommodate them, unfortunately for users who really like to have them available.

To confirm that there is an extension compromising site function, open a private window to visit Daily Kos. If it loads quickly and well, then that indicates there's at least one extension that's compromising things in a normal window. You can decide whether to disable the extension(s) causing the problem -- perhaps for our site only -- or to visit Daily Kos via a private window only.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 01 Mar, 2018 03:13 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac