Weird question

carolk7

27 Feb, 2018 11:35 PM

Hi

When browsing the site from my iPad, using safari, I find that I will click to continue reading a diary, or select a diary from the right side of the site, after I read, I select the back button in the browser, and it returns me to the top of the main page most every time. Is this by design? I know I could open the link in a new tab, and I do sometimes do that, but would love the back feature to return me to where I linked from. Anyhow, just wondering, by design or a “feature” (yea I work with programmers). ;-)
Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Mar, 2018 12:06 AM

Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'd like to make sure I understand what you're asking. Are you saying that each return via the browser's back arrow takes you to the top of the home page, no matter where you went after being on the home page to start? Is your browser making the intermediate steps you expect, if you've made some other stops along your way?

When I was checking behavior on my own iPad, I see that the back arrow retraces my steps, in effect. From one story, it backtracks to another, and eventually to the home page -- at the display it had when I chose another story link to click. It sounds to me that this is NOT what you are experiencing.

The first questions I ask may be superfluous, but we have to ask them anyway. Which version of Safari do you have on your iPad, and what OS are you using now? Is this a new behavior for you, or is it something you've noticed for a while? Do you see this happening on other websites or just on ours?

Then, what happens if you try out our website on a private window? That's of interest because it'll simplify the browser setup for you, just in case you have an uncooperative extension of some sort.

Lastly, there's always the good old last resort of clearing your cache and cookies for the site, and then closing the browser & rebooting your iPad? This is not the kind of behavior
    we would associate with a poor site load, but it's always good to check.

That should get you started. I'll await your update.

Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac