Facebook sharing window

bloomingpol

07 Sep, 2017 10:42 AM

If I try to use the Facebook share tool for an article, once it opens, it immediately starts to close sideways until it gets to a very skinny "window" with an x at the top. None of my other sites do this that I have found. I am running a brand new MacBookPro 2017 OS Sierra, and the latest version of Safari. Can you fix this or tell me what to do?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Sep, 2017 09:16 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking. Sorry that you're having such difficulty.

At first glance, there's no obvious explanation, at least not from our end. I realize it's new and you haven't had much time to add anything to your cache, but perhaps you could try to clear your cache and cookies for this site and for Facebook.

Additionally, I have a few other questions if you don't mind doing a little troubleshooting and reporting back. Do you have any extensions on your version of Safari? Does this happen if you open a private window on Safari through which you view Daily Kos and login to Facebook? Do you happen to have another browser installed to see if it's happening on Safari only? When did you notice this the first time?

We can try to replicate the problem, and I'll leave this ticket open to see if other DK users happen to experience this too. We appreciate your help in tracking this down.

2. 2 Posted by Miss Blue on 08 Sep, 2017 10:46 PM

I am having the same problem. Just started today. I am using and all-in-one desktop with Win10. Chrome browser.

I restarted, did a scan, all that jazz and there were no problems found.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Sep, 2017 11:09 PM

Miss Blue --

Sorry, on occasion the Help Desk ticket threading doesn't work well, particularly if people change the device they use to revisit a ticket. Am I correct in reading elsewhere that the problem is now resolved for you? If so, please feel free to say so with a bit of a longer sentence so I can tell. If not, of course, please indicate that instead.

Thank you.

4. 4 Posted by Miss Blue on 08 Sep, 2017 11:13 PM

No, the problem is NOT resolved for me.

AND I have not changed the device I am using to revisit this ticket. However, I am not the original poster - I just added the comment that I am having the same problem.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Sep, 2017 11:18 PM

OK, thank you for clarifying.
    When is the last time you successfully shared a story, may I ask? And have you made any changes to your setup recently?
    Also, if you open your a private window on Chrome, do you still experience the problem?

6. 6 Posted by Miss Blue on 08 Sep, 2017 11:27 PM

I shared yesterday, several times. I have made no changes to my setup.

I don't understand your last request. Can you explain better what you mean? I am not tech-savvy.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Sep, 2017 11:53 PM

Of course.
    When you go to the File option in Chrome, you will see several choices displayed in the pull-down list. One of them is Open Window; another is Open Incognito Window.
    If you choose the Incognito option, that does several things a little differently. For our purposes, it means that whatever you have running on the regular window is not accessible to the incognito version.

However, since you had no problems sharing yesterday, and since you have made no changes to your setup, I'm reconsidering that suggestion. I doubt that it is something that the Incognito window would help diagnose.

What happens if you log off both Daily Kos and Facebook, close your browser, and reopen the browser and back on? No change in this behavior?

8. 8 Posted by Miss Blue on 09 Sep, 2017 12:26 AM

That didn't help. I'm really frustrated. I share stuff ALL the time. Constantly. This is a huge blow frankly.

9. 9 Posted by bloomingpol on 10 Sep, 2017 11:37 AM

It's back. I can fix it temporarily by clearing my recent history and closing and reopening my browser. Then I get a request to login to Facebook again. Happened yesterday and today again. I don't really have time today to try all sorts of stuff, I guess I will just post links manually.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Sep, 2017 07:53 PM

I'm sorry you're both having this issue. We need to be able to replicate the problem here in order to diagnose it effectively. It does help for you to supply these extra details, however, so we will keep trying to track it down.

I will continue to leave this ticket open to attract other reports of this problem. It's particularly important to note the onset of this issue if at all possible. Thank you.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Sep, 2017 05:52 PM

If you don't mind, we could use your help in trying to establish what is happening and what might be causing it.
    We would like to have the URLs of the stories you are trying to share, and then, if you're willing and able, screenshots of what you see when the share window is doing this odd thing.
    If you'd prefer to keep that screenshot confidential, that's understandable. You may certainly open a separate ticket and mark it Private. That way only you and DK staff with Help Desk permissions can see it.
    Thanks for your help.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac