Can't copy and past from desktop to diary draft

dsnottselliott (unverified)

10 Aug, 2017 09:20 PM

I like to draft diaries on my desktop (PC using Windows 10 & Microsoft Edge browser) and then copy and past them into the diary format. It makes for having to do a lot of editing (spaces between words & sentences sometimes get taken out during the paste part) but that was okay. I'd copied and pasted some pretty long diaries without incident. However, starting perhaps a month ago I found I could only copy & past a paragraph at a time, and often only a few sentences at a time. It was weird because sometimes in the same diary I was able to copy long paragraphs but at other times only two or three sentences & sometimes only one - then later I'd be able to copy long paragraphs!

It's been annoying to be sure, but this afternoon I find I can at most only copy a couple of sentences at most. And mostly only ONE sentence at a time! This has gotten ridiculous. Yes, I have cleared my "clipboard" and shut down & re-opened Microsoft Word. I've even logged out of DK and closed out my browser after doing so to clear out anything else. And STILL I'm only able to copy & paste a sentence at a time. What gives?

I saw a thread from over a year ago when lots of people were having similar issues, but that thread is closed so I'm starting a new one. Help. Please.

1. 1 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 11 Aug, 2017 04:27 AM

Are you using Text, or Word? Text documents are plain text and don't have hidden formatting. I haven't tried copying and pasting into DKos recently, but I do know that in WordPress, pasting from a word processor is not compatible. Stuff must be pasted in plain text, then formatted in the blog text box.

2. 2 Posted by dsnottselliott ... on 16 Aug, 2017 04:02 AM

I use Microsoft Word on my desktop. I didn't used to have any problems copying and pasting an entire multi-page diary, then doing some cleanup. My computer software didn't change, something on this site did.

Also, I found out again the hard way just a few minutes ago that this site will DUMP what I've spent a fair amount of time copying & pasting (a little at a time) into a new diary. I was in a rush to get it done & forgot to "save" as I went - and the WHOLE THING which I was almost done transferring into the new diary got dumped!
    I'm speaking up in case others have been having similar issues the last month or so.

It's frustrating as hell. I don't know what changed at this site but what used to be fun to actively take part in has become a challenge. That's the opposite of the way things should be. Maybe I need to look harder and figure out how to contact the help desk (I assume there is one) directly. But this crap has gotten really annoying.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac