All my FB shares are gone on the articles I've written

HumanOfEarth

09 Aug, 2017 03:04 PM

Hello and thanks for reading!

I'm having a problem where all the posts I've written now say there are 0 Facebook shares, when that was not the case when I wrote them a year ago.

A post that had a few thousand shares now says it has zero.

Is there any way to get that back to the accurate number?

Thank you,

humanofearth

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by elfling on 09 Aug, 2017 07:38 PM

The share count report is what Facebook reports to us when we ask it about a URL. We don't store or calculate that number.

The one thing we can screw up is that sometimes a share count can get split across different URLs. We've worked hard to prevent that but it happens sometimes.

Which story is it that had shares before but doesn't now?

2. 2 Posted by Nova Land on 09 Aug, 2017 07:38 PM

I recall reading another help desk on this problem some time this past year. Unfortunately it was quite a while back and I don't know how to locate it. But as I recall a poster noticed that at some point after the switch to DK5 the figures of Facebook shares on a number of their diaries were wrong, and they were able to provide the help desk with links to a number of diaries this had happened to, the number of shares which previously had been listed, and the number now being shown.

My recollection is that the help desk was not able to identify and fix the problem, but I could be wrong on that. Anyway, I thought it might be useful to know that there was an effort by the help desk to look into this type of problem at least once in the past and they should have a record somewhere of their previous efforts to deal with this problem.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by elfling on 09 Aug, 2017 07:46 PM

Yes, we did have an issue where our urls changed and we've also had issues where FB changed how they were reading the urls. We believe those are fixed now.

We had another recent inadvertent change that we have fixed, that I am investigating to see if it is indeed solved, so specific and current examples are helpful right now.

Unfortunately, it is also true that we are at Facebook's mercy on this, in terms of what they report and how it is reported and whether the number even means what the user would expect it to mean. We have no way of knowing this count on our own.

4. 4 Posted by HumanOfEarth on 13 Sep, 2017 05:58 PM

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Sep, 2017 06:12 PM

Hello again. Thanks for providing these examples to illustrate the problem as you have experienced it.

Yes, we have gone back and forth with Facebook about this issue. We think we have a permanent solution (well, as permanent as things get with Facebook).

Sadly, it is quite unlikely that we can retrieve previous counts once they have been lost. But we'll see how things unfold.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 13 Sep, 2017 06:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac