Website will not load properly

JES (unverified)

16 Jul, 2017 06:37 PM

When I try to open a page on Daily Kos (other than this section oddly enough), it will do so slowly, and then not properly, failing to load text, pictures, and well, the file below should give you the picture.

When I first saw this while eating breakfast this morning, my first thought was that the Ajit Pai had decided to end all rules regarding net neutrality last night, and that my ISP was wasting no time blocking the site! But when I tried searching for news on this I couldn't find anything. Any other liberal blogs I know of seemed to load fine. So I assumed that it was a technical difficulty.

When I got to work, I tried again, it I was able to access the site. I assumed it just went down, and was now working properly.

Now that I'm home again, it's doing it again. So I'm thinking it must be on my end, but I can't think of any new factors that would be the cause.

I still assume that the issue will be resolved sooner or later, but I am curious to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jul, 2017 07:37 PM

Hello --

Thanks for asking.

A poor site load is generally caused by one (or both) of these: full cache/outdated cookies, and/or incompatible add-ons. The CSS display you attached suggests it's more likely the latter.

Sometimes a hard refresh can do the trick in getting the site to load well. But in other cases it's necessary to take the time to clear your cache and cookies, close and reopen your browser, and reboot your machine.

If that doesn't suffice, then it's worth checking for any add-ons or extensions that might be interfering with site load. Since you were able to access the site properly from another computer that does indeed suggest you have something in your home setup that doesn't play well with our code.

To test, try opening the site when your browser is in Safe or Private mode. That will disable all extensions. If the site loads well, then you have at least the first part of your answer; then you'll have to use process of elimination to determine which add-on is problematic.

If you do all that and the site still isn't loading properly for you, please return to let us know, and we'll dig deeper.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2017 07:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac