Turning off New Comment popups

o4tuna

15 Jul, 2017 10:14 PM

Recently when I am reading the comments, I get popups in the lower right-hand corner announcing a that a new comment has been posted and giving the usernames. The popups are in a grey box. These comments are distracting to me. How can I turn them off?

1. 1 Posted by steve (unverifi... on 15 Jul, 2017 11:31 PM

PLEASE stop the annoying pop-ups! This reeks of the over-commercialization that is afflicting the internet. In-your-face does not work! Enough!

2. 2 Posted by Nova Land on 16 Jul, 2017 01:37 AM

There's a very simple fix for this. Find the button which says Comment Settings (which should be between the end of the diary and the beginning of comments). Click to open it.

If you are logged in, you should see a line of 4 menu items:

o Auto refresh o Collapse on load o Show hidden o Show until I hide

If you are not logged in, you should see a line of 2 menu items:

o Auto refresh o Collapse on load

Either way, it's that first one, Auto refresh, which you need to attend to. If it's checked, then it automatically notifies you of new comments as soon as they're posted.

So you need to uncheck it. Once you've done that, click the Close Settings button.

As long as you're logged in, the site respects the preferences you've expressed in the Comment Settings. If you're not logged in then the site uses its default settings, which is to auto-refresh the page. So every time you visit a diary while not logged in, you likely will have to go to Comment Settings and go through the unchecking process again. But once you do, the annoying box should go away.

3. 3 Posted by o4tuna on 16 Jul, 2017 09:39 PM

Thank you, Nova!

4. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 16 Jul, 2017 10:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac