How to opt out of email notifications

misterwade

05 Mar, 2020 05:01 PM

I don’t recall ever opting in but now I am getting an email when someone replies to my comment. How can I stop this?

1. 1 Posted by TRT (unverified... on 05 Mar, 2020 09:25 PM

I did not sign up to receive these emails and I need to know how to stop them. This is the only site I have seen that doesn't have an "unsubscribe" option. I am having to have them sent to my spam file but I want them stopped.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 Mar, 2020 10:15 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

This setting is indeed something in your control, and you can change it for any comment you like. Unlike other comment settings, it is an option that can be turned off or on with every comment you make.

Look in a comment reply box. You should see an option, "email me when someone replies to my comment" statement at the bottom of it. The checkbox with it is blue when it is turned on (its default setting). If you uncheck, or recheck, that box then it should remain in that state unless and until you choose otherwise.

You can, in theory, change it for every comment you make, but probably most people set it to off, or on, and let it ride. The feature is supposed to work for your account across browsers, but we have had a Heisenbug experience with it of late. It could be that you have had an errant click along the way and didn't realize you were checking that box.

There's another chance to intervene later, for any notices you get from a particular comment. When you have an email reply, look at the bottom of it. "Stop following this discussion" appears next to the Post a Reply button. It's not obviously a link, but indeed it is. After clicking on it you'll be redirected to a confirmation page that will allow you to undo that response if you like.

Thanks for your support of the site.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 05 Mar, 2020 10:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac