Browser Spellcheck and comments

PissedGrunty

13 Aug, 2019 09:14 PM

I noticed when reading replies that I had words misspelled that I swore I corrected before posting, so I did a little test

Typed this into a comment:
Ok, I swear I fixed those typos before I pressed submit. The spielcheck () doesn’t take!

Right-clicked and fixed the text with spell check to get:
Okay, I swear I fixed those typos before I pressed submit. The spellcheck () doesn’t take!

Then I pressed "Preview". The preview text showed the original text
Ok, I swear I fixed those typos before I pressed submit. The spielcheck () doesn’t take!

Using Windows 10 / Chrome.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Aug, 2019 09:58 PM

Hmmm. Now that is interesting. Sorry that you're encountering it all the same.

I'll surmise it has something to do with the interface between our comment editor and the browser. Or...it might have to do with the comment window holding on to the previous version too long, now that we have a temporary save option on our comments. Despite you seeing the correct version in preview mode, it's possible that the server on our end doesn't make the edit quickly enough, so that what gets published is the old, incorrect version.

Let's see if other folks have similar experiences to report, since this is a public ticket. (We'll want to know the operating system and browser that others are using, anyone who replies to this thread!)

Also, re potential troubleshooting: It probably wouldn't hurt to have a URL for the comment in question. If you can click fast enough to get screenshots of 1) the (correct) edited state and then 2) the posted state, that might also be revealing. That little bit of delay, especially on a PC, might be enough to make the situation much harder to replicate, though....

Thanks for whatever additional information you are inclined to provide.

2. 2 Posted by PissedGrunty on 14 Aug, 2019 08:32 PM

Waited for a typo, and was able to reproduce it easily

Comment example:
    https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1878940/74688605#comment_74688605

Attached screen shots. Corrected, preview showed incorrectly and even after waiting at least 10 seconds, the incorrect version was still posted in the final comment.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 Aug, 2019 11:38 PM

Thank you for producing and recording these instances. Appreciate your participation in troubleshooting; I'll pass it along now to others on the team for further documentation and ticketing.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 14 Aug, 2019 11:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac