I've been shifted back to the new comments. Sigh.

siab

16 Jul, 2019 03:56 AM

Between the new comment marks not going away, and previously changed comments being submitted instead of my final edit, I've concluded that the cacheing schema you're using for the new system is running up against the disk/memory swapping that my system does, which has lately been intensified by Firefox's larger caching system.

In other words, whenever my disk is playing catch-up, and especially when something like my anti-virus is running, it interferes with the computer's ability to read the DK cache material, and I get major variations in how quickly the browser can respond. In many cases, the answer is: not fast enough to keep up with my scrolling and commenting. Another 12Gb of RAM would probably take care of the problem, but I'm not expecting to upgrade any time soon.

The old comments, which evidently do not use the same cacheing setup, have given me back all the responsiveness I've been missing.

I tried, I really did. I think you will at least have to dump the in-house comment saves, and whatever other items are currently using extra disk read/write cycles, in order to make the new comment system work.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by elfling on 17 Jul, 2019 12:13 AM

Oh interesting!

We are changing the system of that saving shortly. I'll be interested to see if this solves your problem.

2. 2 Posted by siab on 17 Jul, 2019 09:03 AM

Well, tell me when it's changed, and I'll try again, but no promises. I've tried since the beginning of the last round, and it's still problematic. Normally I can adapt a lot faster than this.

Can you also please put back the old message that tells us how many flags we've got left? It's absence in the new comments is an incredible nuisance

3. 3 Posted by siab on 15 Aug, 2019 11:31 PM

So the new comments are now the default, it seems.

I'm still getting variable speeds for having the orange dots go away, including the ones on my own comments. Again, it seems to ebb and flow with my computer's read/write backlog, but I suspect I'm going to have to keep TaskMaster up and running while I'm going through the comments.

Still need to either put an upthread link at the top of the comment-only page, since there's no other way to back up and see the prior thread, and please, please could you have the jump to the next comment be to the TOP of the comment, rather than the middle? It is a pain in the ass to land in the middle of a comment and have to scroll up almost every time to begin reading.

I'll add more as I run into it.

4. 4 Posted by siab on 15 Aug, 2019 11:35 PM

Is it too much to ask to get back the count of flags I stlll have available? Please?

5. 5 Posted by siab on 17 Aug, 2019 02:09 PM

1. There are still cache problems with the comments. I don't know whether you're storing them in memory, or to disc, but I'm constantly swapping memory to disc, so either way, I'm getting errata in the final comments from one or two edits before publishing.
    2. Please bring back that when focus is on a comment, it isn't hidden. It's a real problem with comment pages where you're dealing with the middle of a Hidden thread.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Aug, 2019 04:03 PM

Thanks for the update.
    We are still working on our cache for comments. The more we do, the more possibilities appear, it seems.
    Are you saying that you can't get the hidden styling to disappear on a comment (hidden or child of hidden) by clicking on the eye symbol on the hidden comment? That feature still does work, and now it reveals the entire thread.
    It's true that we don't have a case-by-case change in styling now for comments affected by hiding. I'll check out the rationale for the change in process.

7. 7 Posted by siab on 28 Aug, 2019 04:54 PM

Clicking on the eye works just fine, when the eye is on the page to be clicked. On a comments-only page, if the eye is one or two levels up and you can't get at it, it's a problem.

If it's three levels up, the comments don't show as Hidden at all, which seems strange, so no reason to change, but at one or two levels up, I have to tell the page to go back up the thread to be able to find the Hidden comment so I can click on the eye. It's irritating, to say the least.

8. 8 Posted by HoundDog on 28 Aug, 2019 09:17 PM

I’ve also just been shifted back to new comment the forth time. The new system still will not let IPads and IPhones open up the recommends to see who has favored our comments.

I’m looking for Elfling’s click on line to shift back to old comments. If this is going to keep happening the on/off switch should be more prominently displayed.

9. 9 Posted by siab on 28 Aug, 2019 10:36 PM

I think they may be permanent now...

10. 10 Posted by siab on 05 Sep, 2019 11:25 AM

Update, September 5:

Most of the problems with the New markers have been solved, with one annoying exception. I currently have a comment that I wrote with the New orange circle sticking steadfastly to it, come hell or high water, for the last day. It doesn't show up at the top of the page as unread any more, but it does show up in Diary Comments number as unread. The same thing occurred about three days before on another of my comments, and it stuck around between two and three days before quietly disappearing.

I haven't noticed any problems with comment revisions not showing up in several days - it looks as though that one got fixed, from my end.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac