Simply haven't been able to get them to work ...

jeffbot

15 Jun, 2019 05:03 PM

Not in Firefox or Chrome or Edge, Windows 10. Tried various setting, dumped all extensions/add-ins, etc.

Finally just turned them off.

Jeff Schult/jeffbot

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jun, 2019 10:04 PM

Hello, and thanks for bringing your question here.

I suspect you might have encountered an issue that has stymied many users recently: the display of comments as expanded or collapsed.

When comments are collapsed, then all you see are the first few words of a comment followed by an ellipsis (if there is more content). The old style comments had the little expand/collapse arrow at the upper right of every comment--a triangle within a circle. The NEW comments have that same feature, but it's more subtle, a simple carat > that points to the right if the comment is collapsed, and down if the comment is expanded.

I'd encourage you to go look again at the new comment display and see if that doesn't resolve the problem for you.

There is actually a global setting you can change that governs whether all comments come into view as expanded or collapsed. Look for a light gray link, Comment Settings, at the top right of every comment thread. If you click on it, you'll then see a few options, including Collapse on load. If you UNcheck that box, then all the comments will then be expanded. Otherwise, you can still expand a comment (and any replies to it, no matter how long the thread) by clicking that little carat.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 17 Jun, 2019 10:04 PM.

3. jeffbot re-opened this discussion on 18 Jun, 2019 01:58 AM

4. 2 Posted by jeffbot on 18 Jun, 2019 01:58 AM

Got it.

As someone who has designed a lot of UI before ... I think my suggestion would be to put the carat to the right of the comment. Just my $.02.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Jun, 2019 02:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll pass it along.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2019 02:32 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac