Harder to tell unrec'd comments from own comments; "new comments" gives wrong figure

pixxer

11 Jun, 2019 10:21 PM

I have no quibble with most of the new comment format (and thank you for always trying to improve the site!) but I've discovered two things that I find to be problems.
1: It used to be that new comments I had not read/rec'd had a rectangle around the word Recommend. My own comments did not have the rectangle around that word. Therefore, while scanning through 90 comments in subthreads with new additions, it was easy to find new reader comments, read, and (in most cases) rec them. Now my comments are extremely difficult to distinguish quickly and easily from unread reader comments. When there are 90 comments in my own diary, at least 1/3 of them mine, and two or three new ones somewhere in the mix... well, this morning I just gave up on finding them. Could you please reinstate the box around "Recommend" for unrec'd-comments-not-mine, or make them somehow easy to spot as they used to be? [The "author" tag doesn't help, really, b/c you are looking at the "recommend" word, and then looking for "author" in addition is two steps. And I typically scroll up from the bottom to find unread/rec'd comments anyway b/c that's where most of them are.)
  1a: The latest comments that I have rec'd on my recent diary for some reason do not show the "YOU and X" format. I can see my username in the list of recommenders, but the YOU thingy is missing - so it looks like an unrec'd comment till you mouseover, and there's the orange "pixxer" on the list. As though there were a time limit on how long the diary could recognize me as YOU? I'll attach a screen shot.

2: Listing the number of comments, and of those, how many new: Doesn't seem to work. I would leave the diary with all comments read and, if appropriate, rec'd, then refresh. Before refresh: "50 comments, 12 new" after rec'ing all unrec'd comments and refreshing the diary, "55 comments 17 new." **I'm not sure the numbers made that much sense, to tell the truth.** Might as well have been 55 comments, 19 new - sorry I should have kept notes :) But anyway, when I leave the diary at 84 and come back and it says 90 comments and there are "25 new" it's clearly not correct. In the past, the "new" referred to how many non-me comments had been made since the last refresh. That was great. What the intent is now I can't tell. So this means that unless I take notes before every refresh, I won't know how many new comments there actually are for me to track down and read.
I'm sure you have a lot of things you need to do, but if you could put these into a wish-list to be fixed, it would be great. Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 Jun, 2019 02:58 PM

You raise good points here, and I'll be sure to pass them along.

The disappearance of the "You +" is expected, but I can see what you mean.

Thanks for your kind words as well.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 12 Jun, 2019 02:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac