Redesign eliminates contrast

Franks Human

30 Mar, 2018 10:47 PM

Hi,
(I'm repeating this here only to be sure that it comes up for the designers. Sorry for the repeat if it does repeat.)

I notice an overnight redesign. In terms of the blog rolls on the side, formerly (yesterday) the color contrast between those articles/links I had already clicked on and those that I have not clicked on was large enough for me to be able to see the difference. Now, I cannot tell the difference as one is black and one is a grey slightly less than black. (I do not remember what they were 24 hours ago; I just know I never had any problems before and the contrast was "great".) Would it be possible to "widen the contrast?"

Note: I know that people with good eyes don't have this problem. I don't want to debate this with people with good eyes as I understand that it probably is completely fine for other people. I merely ask if it is at all possible to consider that contrast is necessary for some of us to see, and in this case, when returning to the main page, important for "fixing" one's position and knowing where to continue looking at other unread stories. This current/new contrast is not big enough for at least this one human, and therefore possibly for other humans.

For me personally, this has increased my my headaches this AM already. (I get micro headaches from eye focus and now I've had to focus beyond my capacity to do so without inducing eye muscle pain.) It will become an obstacle to continued engagement.

(By the way, part of this may stem from the white background, which is so bright, and the "grey" is not dark or different enough to contrast against that. I can't remember what it was 24 hours ago, but I think they may have been different colors and both colors contrasted against that bright white background well? I'm just trying to be more specific.)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 03 Apr, 2018 09:30 PM

Hello, and thank you for your feedback.

We're sincerely interested in hearing from users regarding these site changes, and we're compiling and organizing them thematically.

I'm sorry to hear that the contrast (the bright white in particular) is causing you headaches. It's important information for you to share with us, however. There are apps and add-ons that permit one to adjust the display settings of any site on a given browser, and perhaps you'll be able to find one that helps while other permanent site settings are under consideration.

We very much appreciate your support of the mission of the site and your willingness to let us know how these changes affect your participation here.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2018 09:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac