3RD time internal server error 500

Mathy Kathy

18 Feb, 2019 03:27 PM

3rd time internal server error 500

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Feb, 2019 03:38 PM

Hi, and thanks for the query/report.

But without knowing what you were doing to trigger this error message, we are at a loss of what to tell you or how to proceed.

It is quite likely, however, that you were in a Kosmail, no? And if so, then yes, that's a regrettable chronic problem that we have with sending messages. If you persist, the message should eventually go through, but it is worth composing long/detailed messages offline in case it goes permanently missing when you encounter this glitch.

The other reason an error message of this sort tends to appear is with attempting to upload images to the Image Library. It's something we've been hearing more of lately, so we have been keeping an ear out. Is this the situation you're encountering the error message in now? If so, more details (like image size and type) would be helpful.

If you were doing something else, then please provide some details -- story or comment you were trying to view and how you got there. Links are helpful too.

2. 2 Posted by Mathy Kathy on 18 Feb, 2019 04:33 PM

I seem to be getting the error message when I am trying to recommend the
    diary and then the tip jar and I have more than one window open. It is
    intermittent and not repeatable. But I just report because I have no idea
    what i helpful and what is not. It seems to clear up by itself????

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Feb, 2019 06:53 PM

Thanks for clarifying! This is interesting (because it's different) and not something I have an immediate answer for. What browser and operating system are you using when it happens?

So, are you saying you get the 500 error when you try to recommend the post? Or when you try to recommend the Tip Jar after recommending the post? Sequencing might make a difference. Plus -- just to double-check -- you're referring to current stories, right? Because stories can be recommended indefinitely, while Tip Jars are open for recs only for seven days.

Thanks for the follow-up.

4. 4 Posted by Mathy Kathy on 18 Feb, 2019 07:11 PM

Using the current edition of Firefox 65.0.1. My operating system OS X
    I will try to remember the sequence if it happens again.
    Thanks. I think this will be the CWC - cleared while checking or the
    reliabel FM farking magic category.

I am looking forward to switching over to my phone. But don't know if I
    will ever be as comfortable on my phone as I am on my MacBook.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Feb, 2019 07:35 PM

Could be. I am on this setup constantly myself and haven't seen it happen (yet). Not to suggest you haven't, just that the variables are seemingly endless.

The other two standard troubleshooting remedies we suggest are 1) clearing your cache and cookies for the site regularly and 2) checking to see if site performance is any better on a private window. If the latter seems to be the case, then it's likely that some sort of add-on or extension is a culprit somehow.

6. 6 Posted by Emily Kehoe on 19 Mar, 2019 12:14 AM

This comment was split into a new discussion: changing between beta comments and regular comments

I'm new here, only seven months and can't seem to find the beta thread. I desperately need to change back as it is making my mouse insane. It's almost impossible to read anything now. Thank you.

7. elfling closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2019 06:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac