Really bad "comment section" problems.

Faydea

16 Jan, 2016 02:43 PM

When there is a diary that generates above normal postings or comments, the responses and exchanges degenerates to words being broken down into unrecognizable segments. Example: A three sentence response may turn into ten or fifteen lines of unreadable trash. It fills up several inches of the comment page with unconnected letters and words that are difficult to read and most certainly loses the continuity. Please fix this.

1. 1 Posted by aoeu on 16 Jan, 2016 05:51 PM

Concur.

2. 2 Posted by Eyesbright on 16 Jan, 2016 06:43 PM

Yep. It's pretty bad, has actually gotten worse in the last few days, and makes Daily Kos look pathetically amateurish.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 16 Jan, 2016 10:41 PM

Blatant example of comment turned in to a long column of 2 - 3 letters per line, virtually unreadable:
    http://www.dailykos.com/comments/1470515/59019408

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jan, 2016 12:43 AM

I'm sorry that this is happening, but oddly enough it's a helpful thing to hear that it's happening to several users at once. To fix it, we need to know what devices you're each using--OS and browser, if you please. And, we need to know if this happens with every discussion that goes to the right margin, or just some (and if some, then what might differentiate them from others).
    Thanks for your help with diagnostics.

5. 5 Posted by Eyesbright on 17 Jan, 2016 12:50 AM

I'm on a PC using Firefox 43.0.4 on Windows 7.

6. 6 Posted by Faydea on 17 Jan, 2016 12:58 AM

I am using MS Windows Vista Home.  I use Google Chrome.  My husband on another computer has also experienced the same frustrating results.  His OS is also MS Vista and has the same results using Google Chrome, Firefox and IE.  Thanks for the response.  Deana Hanson

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 6:43 PM, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv4311435701 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv4311435701 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;} Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Really bad "comment section" problems.. To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://helpdesk.dailykos.com, visit this page

7. 7 Posted by Eyesbright on 17 Jan, 2016 01:07 AM

Here's another, even more hideous example. At one point in the comment, the column breaks in to 1 - 2 characters in each line:
    http://www.dailykos.com/comments/1470666/59026188

As noted in my earlier comment, I'm on a PC using Windows 7 and Firefox 43.0.4.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jan, 2016 01:47 AM

OK. Thanks for the updates.

Well, the good/bad news is that I'm using the exact same setup (as Eyesbright) and the site loads beautifully for me. We'll have to check the Vista/Chrome etc. combos. But at least for some of you, that means there's something on the user end that's interfering with the site's display.

I'm assuming that at least some of you have gone through all your extensions/add-ons to check for incompatibility. (My apologies if you all have, and I'm just forgetting.) It helps to go through a process of elimination. Have you changed anything with your setup recently? Installed anything? How about clearing your cache and deleting extra cookies? It might be a site-loading issue, so that anything that slows it down eventually poses problems.

We'll stay on it until we figure it out. But on the weekend, please note that the tech coverage is low. Thanks for your patience and your diagnostic help.

9. 9 Posted by Eyesbright on 17 Jan, 2016 02:07 AM

Just a note to let you know that I purge my cache daily (at night when I logout for the night) so cookies, etc., are not the issue for me, at least. Nor have I added anything new recently. I have very little in the way of add-ons.
    This weirdity in the formatting of nested comments is a relatively recent thing. I think it's only started occurring since the most recent changes as noted in Jason's recent diary.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jan, 2016 02:08 AM

Thanks, Eyesbright, for the additional information.

11. 11 Posted by aoeu on 17 Jan, 2016 02:33 AM

It got worse when the avatars got widened.
    I suggest nesting comments only half the width of the avatars.

12. 12 Posted by Joy of Fishes on 17 Jan, 2016 03:29 AM

I finally saw the long narrow comments for the first time today .... on my laptop, they appear when my +-zoom setting is at 120 & 133%. It appears the right margin is stuck, so larger text is being squeezed in. Att'd are screen shots of this comment -- http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/16/1470666/-Dear-Clinton-Sho... (it's a couple down from one of the comments linked above).

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jan, 2016 03:32 AM

Oho! More diagnostics! Thanks, Joy of Fishes! (What OS/browser are you on?)
    And thanks for the temporal information, aoeu. Noted. Keep them coming, please.

14. 14 Posted by Joy of Fishes on 17 Jan, 2016 04:10 AM

DKStaff,

Windows 8.1, Firefox 42.0 (up to date, according to help/about)

15. 15 Posted by aoeu on 17 Jan, 2016 04:12 AM

New track record. One character wide. Win7 64 firefox.
    http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/16/1470666/-Dear-Clinton-Sho...

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jan, 2016 04:14 AM

Ewww. I'm sorry you had to see that.
    Are you looking at a zoomed-in view too?

17. 17 Posted by aoeu on 17 Jan, 2016 04:23 AM

Me? No.

18. 18 Posted by fisheye on 17 Jan, 2016 06:03 AM

I see this daily, an indented comment against the huge white right margin reduces to a column of a 1, 2 or 3 letters. Sometimes takes many screens of scrolling and is obviously unreadable. Also, right column threads tuncate the commenter/recipient names to 3 letters.
    That's using a Dell latitude, Windows 7, Chrome.
    On my ipad, the right hand column, which houses the recent diary list, ads, etc. doesn't exist in diaries, only on home page. I much prefer the format on my ipad, including the lists font. But, since it's an older model ipad, upgrading the OS last time wrecked it's functionality. So I use my laptop and there's these other problems.

19. 19 Posted by OLinda on 21 Jan, 2016 10:26 AM

Just wanted to point out that this only happens when text is blockquoted in a reply near the right hand side. It runs out of room, the blockquote box squeezes it more, and it turns into each line being one character, or a couple of characters.

For those reading the help desk, at least there is a tip. Don't use the blockquote formatting button for anything if your reply is on right of the page. Only use it for original comments that aren't replies, or are just a couple of replies in.

Put quotation marks around your quote instead, or separate it with dashes or indicate that you are quoting in another way.

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 Jan, 2016 03:25 PM

Thanks for all the input. Ticketed.

21. 21 Posted by chimene on 29 Jan, 2016 05:30 AM

older hardware (iMac, 3.2Gh Intel Core i3) & software! OSX 10.8.5, Safari 6.2.8. just found one of these - oy, SEVERAL more than one, in the "Wow, Rachel Maddow is showing us…" post from JBtakenote, Wednesday Jan 27, 2016 · 6:31 PM PST

I can see the comment numbers but can't figure out how to pick them up!

I do remember that when the step-down-&-right got too close to the right hand edge, the software USED to re-set itself (?) and start a new set of stair-steps somewhere in the middle of the column… this squishing things down to 2-3 letters is just ridiculous!

esp when the right hand edge of the whole column appears to fall just a hair to the right of the middle of the screen! OH! of course, that's where the dividing line between the post column and the sidebar! all that empty space, ALL the way down!!
    thx!

22. 22 Posted by aoeu on 05 Feb, 2016 07:31 PM

Crud.Close?
    Please.
    Peace/
    aoeu

23. 23 Posted by coberly (unveri... on 05 Feb, 2016 08:00 PM

hi eyesbright.

i am still having the same problem you advised me on yesterday. the one here appears related.

i try to log on to daily kos and get one page of political essays and no access to comments or any other dkos content.

i deleted cache and cookies at your suggestion. no help.

i might be able to find what software i am using (older imac, safari 3.0.4 or something. but i have to think that the fix to this problem is at a higher level than asking me to become a geek.

24. 24 Posted by John Oswald (un... on 27 Apr, 2016 09:27 PM

April 27, 2016
     Daily Kos often freezes my whole computer. It not only freezes it, but it often pegs my CPU temps near 200 degrees. It always happens when scrolling comments, but is most certainly a product of Flash Player gone wild as I have had my activity monitor running simultaneously in order to track down the cause of the freeze and temperature rise.

The only way to relieve it is to force restart my computer.
    I have only experienced this since KOS 2.0, which I find to be klunky and often unreadable.

25. 25 Posted by fcvaguy on 28 Apr, 2016 12:45 AM

Yes. The vertical characters happens to me also from time to time. OSX/Safari

26. 26 Posted by serendipityisab... on 29 Apr, 2016 01:14 AM

Win 8.1, Firefox 46, Dell inspiron laptop.

If I run with text at the normal size, this happens to me. if I increase the font size one Ctrl+, then the text fills the full width of the page (for most browser sizes) with no right hand List column and I have a pretty good right hand comments column. If I increase the browser past a certain point, it defaults back to having the Lists column available, and a very narrow right hand comments column.

I should note that this also affects my diary editor - while i have the text size enlarged, I can't see the right hand column there, either, so I have to downsize the font in order to Save or Publish a diary.

It's very strange, but quite nice as far as being able to read comments easily. I should note that this has been my experience for several weeks now, with no detectable changes in the last few days.

27. 27 Posted by JS (unverified) on 30 Nov, 2016 10:26 PM

For many months I have had the same problem reported by users {aoeu, serendipityisabitch, et.al};
    column width down to a single character; my config: Win7.1 + Waterfox - although in my opinion (16+ yrs @ msft) [OS + browser] is not really the relevant factor, since I've duplicated this behavior on a variety of browsers (chrome, IE, waterfox, palemoon, firefox, etc) and (according to the comments in this thread) a variety of OS;(for me it's Win7.1)
    Common denominator is the *RELATIONSHIP* between width of browser window and zoom level. Changing either of these factors can cause (or fix) the pathologically narrow column width. Problematically this glitch - by its very nature doesn't show up until you're quite deep into the comments (where someone has replied to a reply to a reply to a reply ...) and with each reply, the level of indentation increases - causing the column width to shrink. Shifting one of these factors enough to cause the window to re-draw (and fix the problem) will also cause you to lose your place, since the re-draw changes the distribution of text in the virtual window space - that is to say, the comment you were trying to read is no longer visible and you have to scroll up or down to find where you left off - which makes for a frustrating experience.
    Please fix this! (and thanks for this site:-) )

28. Support Staff 28 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 Nov, 2016 10:56 PM

Yes. You are quite right.
    It's obviously something we know about, and it is an issue that might be addressed with our next major set of changes. No promises, though we know that it can be annoying.
    So, the workarounds include:
    * setting your browser zoom and your width to accommodate * selecting on a comment A selected comment will display in full, along with responses to it, and you can also choose to see the parent thread (if there is one).
    Sorry we don't have better to offer at the moment.

29. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 30 Nov, 2016 10:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac