Crappy ads and deranged pop-ups suck balls

arthura

20 Nov, 2013 06:36 AM

I HATE that D-Kos runs ads for raving assholes and dishonest sites like NewsMax, asking me to vote in a "survey". Oh, right, and give them my e-mail address so they can shove racist, sexist and rightwing bullshit up my ass?

And the pages that show up that say "take action now, D Kos needs you to sign a petition you think _______ is a douche and his plan is facist. And when I try to hit the "X" button that is supposed to delete pop-ups, it doesn't work. Oh, sorry, is it because I have the good sense to use a Mac instead of a sack of shit Windows machine?

Really?

Is Daily Kos drunk with power and money, to the extent that it will run ANY ad that offers some money, even if it is for complete crap and the people behind it are rabid morons?

Hey, if so, why don't you run ads for the sale of slaves? Or for hookers? Why go halfway to Hell in a hand basket, when you can go ALL the way to sleazy irrelevance?

Am I missing something here? Is the site intentionally becoming an object lesson that Power Corrupts?

1. 2 Posted by TheMomCat on 20 Nov, 2013 09:59 AM

If you use FireFox as a browser, I have one suggestion, AdBlock. It's free, unlike a subscription and the annoying ads go away. The site also loads faster

2. 3 Posted by arthura on 20 Nov, 2013 10:16 AM

Thanks, nope. Safari. But still, ad/creepy email trolling Newax display ads "Do you like Ted Cruz?" Really, what are the odds that a DK reader would? -80%?

Sent from my iPhone

3. 4 Posted by Its the Supreme Court Stupid on 20 Nov, 2013 01:42 PM

The site does not determine what ads get added. That is determined by the Google Ad search engine, AFAIK. So, there is no intentionality on the site "choosing" these ads to run. They show up because, for example, we have stories about Ted Cruz.

4. 5 Posted by raptavio on 24 Nov, 2013 12:36 AM

AdBlock is basically taking money from Markos. This site lives off of ad impressions. Blocking them blocks the revenue stream.

Want to block ads? Subscribe.

5. 6 Posted by Christin on 24 Nov, 2013 06:26 PM

The people pushing free ad block from Firefox...like themomcat does...denies this site the needed revenue to survive.
    Not shocked.

6. 7 Posted by aoeu on 24 Nov, 2013 08:36 PM

Two thoughts on this topic.

If adblock adds real Democrats to our mix I approve. I used it.

The subscription model may work.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac