Filling in personal details in suggested letters

Nina M Blackwell (unverified)

13 Mar, 2019 09:24 PM

You must realise that there are interested expat Americans all over the world and our local data may not always fit into the prescribed boxes provided. For instance in order to create a "10 digit" telephone number I am forced to either add numbers or leave out numbers in order to avoid the error message. If a correct telephone contact is not really necessary, then why make it a mandatory field? I live in Australia and if I do not provide the country code, the number is meaningless. Either leave it a free space without limiting the number of characters or make it an optional field. Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 Mar, 2019 03:49 AM

Hello, and thank you for asking your question. In one case, we can help you out. In the other, I'm afraid the answer is less encouraging.

A phone number field is optional for our own petitions. We don't require them though it is true that people will fill them in since the field is open.

Unfortunately, however, if you're referring to the forms that are directed to particular members of Congress, it's true that they typically DO require an actual ten-digit number. I say unfortunately because we don't have a workaround: those forms are provided to us from the members, and we can't revise or adjust them at all.

It is frustrating, to be sure, and you're not alone in your reaction. I'm sorry there's nothing we can do to make it more genuinely meaningful. You are left with the choice of either supplying what you can, however inaccurate, or copying the text of the message and seeking the member's website where you can likely convey the message there. (It is quite likely, of course, that you'd encounter similar difficulties there.)

Thanks for staying in touch all the same. We appreciate your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 15 Mar, 2019 03:49 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac