a complaint with a suggestoin

duhban

01 Sep, 2012 11:41 AM

So I have read this site for years and just a couple weeks ago decided to make this account (ironically because I wanted to write about my trip on amtrak) the diary was delayed because of life and when I finally tried my account was locked. Upon inquiring I was told that I had been 'caught' by the 'troll detector' and that the moderator I talked to was not inclined to 'let me out'.

You know I have been in many communities but this is the stupidiest most divisive thing I have ever seen. I am not surprised that DK has a troll problem but you would think a community oriented site would be more friendly and welcoming. You would especially think that a moderator would at least give a person a chance (even if my name is weird and based on gaelic, which one I am not entirely sure of). But no instead I had the door pretty much slammed in my face.

So my suggestion is that if you want something more then just the community you have, if you want to actually expand you need to be more welcoming. Frankly I am rather turned off of this site right now as I have never had such a cold, unresponsive and down right rude introduction'. I asked for clarification and for some guidance on names that wouldn't get me auto banned. I still haven't received a response several days after the fact.

I've moderated before so I'm not unaware of the challenges but I gotta say this system utterly failed and seems more designed for a gated community then what I thought DK was.

1. 1 Posted by Timaeus on 03 Sep, 2012 04:18 AM

The DKos search function says you registered on 7/12/12, have never posted any comments or diaries, and have not been banned.

You say: "when I finally tried my account was locked. Upon inquiring I was told that I had been 'caught' by the 'troll detector' and that the moderator I talked to was not inclined to 'let me out'."

That sounds implausible to me. What do you mean your account was "locked"? How did you inquire? Who told you you were caught by a "troll detector"? Which moderator said he or she was not inclined to "let you out"?

I'm finding this a little hard to believe, but strange things happen.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by elfling on 04 Sep, 2012 06:01 PM

He is locked.

Tell me the origination of the name and I would reconsider. My first read is that it is

duh-ban

as in it appears a deliberate troll attempt to me, "unless you're stupid you'll ban me," knowing nothing about you. If there's another meaning, I'm happy to listen.

Please appreciate that believe it or not, we really do get coy account names where people are trying to see how outrageous they can be without triggering our defenses. If that wasn't your intent, I'm happy to unlock your account.

3. 3 Posted by duhban on 05 Sep, 2012 05:37 AM

Originially as I understand it 'Duhban' was supposed to mean 'shadow' or 'dark' or something like that. I actually do not speak any form of Gaelic but when I got my cat I was looking into my roots in Ireland/Scotland so I looked up a funny name for my cat online given that he's a black cat I figured I'd name him after the word for darkness or shadow or something close. Looking though current online dictionaries I can't find the exact word (which is probably why one should never trust the internet lol) the closest I could find was 'dubh' which according to an irish online dictionary means 'black' http://www.irishdictionary.ie/dictionary?language=irish&toLangu...

I do apologize I didn't even consider for one second that it could be considered to be a joke or being coy. It was just what I (apparently rather ignorantly) named my black cat as a joke that seems to be more on me

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by elfling on 05 Sep, 2012 06:34 AM

No worries! Often all I want is a little intelligent human conversation to know you're not a troll. You should be all set now. :-)

5. elfling closed this discussion on 05 Sep, 2012 06:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac