Suggest moderation to raise the level of discourse above a Junior High level.

kharma

28 May, 2014 12:18 PM

We need better moderation when things like this not only are allowed to stand but get rec'ed:

http://www.dailykos.com/comments/1302466/53513271#c112

Seriously this is Junior High level of discourse not fit for this site.
Thanks in advance.

1. 1 Posted by raptavio on 28 May, 2014 04:22 PM

Puerile discourse takes many forms. I give that one credit for being unapologetically so, though it was no more puerile than the post to which it responded, which you saw fit to recommend.

Taunts and goads are par for the course around here. If they're going to happen, I'd prefer they not try to cloak themselves in the trappings of respectability.

Not that any post in that chain deserves to be recommended. But either they all do or none do.

2. 2 Posted by kharma on 28 May, 2014 05:22 PM

"though it was no more puerile than the post to which it responded" Not even close. I'm looking for a moderator, not debate, thanks anyway.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by elfling on 28 May, 2014 05:39 PM

It's not exactly the most scintillating dialog you'll find on Daily Kos, but it's not outside the rules.

4. elfling closed this discussion on 28 May, 2014 05:39 PM.

5. kharma re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2014 05:48 PM

6. 4 Posted by kharma on 28 May, 2014 05:48 PM

Ok, I'll note that telling someone to "Eat me" is acceptable dialog. Thanks.

7. kharma closed this discussion on 28 May, 2014 05:48 PM.

8. kharma re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2014 07:21 PM

9. 5 Posted by kharma on 28 May, 2014 07:21 PM

Elfling, the shrugging your shoulders bit has me a little unsettled. You say that saying:
    "Why don't you just eat me" is not outside the rules. What if someone said: "Why don't you just suck my dick", would that be outside the rules? Are the rules based on who says it more than the dialog itself? This concerns me since I would think that saying any of the above would be worse than calling someone an asshole or uprating a comment that provided compelling evidence that someone is a zombie. Is there a double-standard here?

10. 6 Posted by Brecht on 28 May, 2014 09:57 PM

I'm not unsettled by this instance, because we see so much worse abuse going down regularly. That in itself points to a systemic problem: so many kossacks are growing used to frequent bending and occasional trampling of the rules, that we all sometimes shrug our shoulders and disengage a bit.

Elfling's "outside the rules" isn't very clear to me. There's breaking the rules, to the extent that your comment's HR-worthy; then there's smashing the rules, to the extent that admins have to step in and rate, comment, or issue a warning. Elfling is right that, considering our general level of admin involvement in disputes, Trix's "Eat me" may not rise to smashing the rules.

But people who post on the front page have power here, and responsibility comes with that. So when they are setting a dickish example, it's especially important for someone even higher up to tell them to cool it. Trix has been even more dickish in other Snowden diaries, and his rudeness encourages other kossacks to imitate him.

On the lower score of not smashing, simply breaking, the rules, Trix broke them (very dickish and personally insulting), and was HRed accordingly. Sadly, our high school cliques are such that, when Trix tells DeadHead to "Eat Me", he gets 4 uprates (and counting). It does make it painfully ironic to hear Trix say

Exactly... The level of smugness/self-righteousness among this crowd is really something to behold.
  11. Support Staff 7 Posted by elfling on 28 May, 2014 10:00 PM

I agree it is close to the line and also that specific phrasing matters. I note he was chastised with multiple hide rates.

12. elfling closed this discussion on 28 May, 2014 10:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac