I notice you have added a new feature to the Comment area. Was it broke before?

siab

20 Mar, 2017 10:56 PM

I suppose I can imagine the scenario where someone would not bother to check DK unless they knew they had a reply waiting, but I'm wondering just how many requests you had for that feature. Especially since you got the orange dot working properly in the Replies icon, I don't think I've missed a reply, so even if it might have been a feature I would have requested in DK4, it isn't any more.

What I really want to say is "Please take it back," simply because it's one more piece of stuff that I now have to worry about clicking on inadvertently. I suppose if you're going to offer it as an option, it has to be there, because otherwise it would be forgotten about fairly quickly.

What you don't say there is whether it's a per-comment change or an overall change, and no way to find out except to try it.

I think it's time to do another Ask Me Anything, guys, and include this latest change along with whatever else we might have missed in the last couple of months.

Oh, and what's the schedule on getting the indent feature working, speaking of the Comment area?

1. 1 Posted by bleeding blue on 21 Mar, 2017 05:29 AM

After a few days of playing with it, I rather like the new email notice feature.

Mostly I leave it in the "off" position, but I have turned it on a few times, especially when I ask a question. It's an option that I could manage to live without, but if it doesn't cost extra...then why not !

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 Mar, 2017 02:00 PM

Thanks for asking about the change.

Did you read Jason's post about it last week? http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/03/14/1643032/-New-Daily-Kos-Fea...
    It's true that in the post itself he does not explain fully that the feature remains in the setting you last chose. (He does spell it out in a comment: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/03/14/1643032/-New-Daily-Kos-Fea...) But in practice it's pretty obvious. The box shows unchecked until you check it, and remains in that state until you uncheck it again. But the option is present with every comment. So it's kind of a global feature, except that it's set locally.

Reactions are going to be mixed, of course, but generally we're finding this to be a popular change. There is one aspect of the feature I do appreciate. On the perl pages of listed comments (and via the comment indicator as well) only daughter replies are noted -- that is, the replies that are immediate responses to your own. If you check the comment notification box, however, you can get notices about the replies to replies, as long as you choose to accept them. I have found that helpful, especially since you can read the full reply within your own email.

As far as the other changes pending and promised re: comments, there's no definite roll-out date yet. But they are coming. There is still plenty of activity behind the scenes.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 21 Mar, 2017 02:00 PM.

4. siab re-opened this discussion on 22 Mar, 2017 12:46 AM

5. 3 Posted by siab on 22 Mar, 2017 12:46 AM

Thanks. I had missed Jason's post.

One question - if you check the email state for one comment and uncheck it for another one, because you aren't interested in that one, does the original comment still count as checked, or not? It sounds/is described like a global switch, which means heaven help us if there's only a couple of comments we're interested in seeing the replies for.

Oh, well...

6. 4 Posted by bleeding blue on 22 Mar, 2017 02:42 AM

You can turn it on or off. But it remains in that particular setting after
    a comment. Just turn it off (or back on) for your next. It was off by
    default initially. I have kept it off for the most part.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Mar, 2017 03:27 AM

The original comment still does count as checked.
    But there's yet another wrinkle. If you've checked to be notified, and you do get a reply and hence an email to alert you to it -- that email will also contain the option to stop getting notifications for that particular comment.
    Again, it's a case-by-case choice. But whatever you set it at for one comment will remain the default for subsequent comments, unless and until you change it.
    Goodness, this is an unduly complicated concept to explain! It really is pretty simple and transparent to use. Thanks for your perseverance in getting a handle on it.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 Mar, 2017 03:27 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac