issue with embedding videos

Richard Myers

13 Oct, 2012 04:05 AM

I note that some Daily Kos editors are able to embed videos from the website Media Matters for America (MMFA), http://mediamatters.org/

I have spent many hours attempting to do the same, without success. So i contacted one individual (who is on Daily Kos staff) to ask her secret. She said she doesn't do anything special at all, it just works.

I regularly use MMFA as a source. I find that they are a great ally, and very reliable. I assume there is a policy issue here, since embedding works for some, but not for others.

I have also noted, as the result of a search, that some other Daily Kos editors have the same complaint.

Can this technical or policy issue be resolved in a way that allows us to leverage the great videos at MMFA? MMFA tells me that they've also requested this capability for Daily Kos editors, but we've apparently been making requests of the wrong persons, or in the wrong forums. Thanks!

1. 2 Posted by Richard Myers on 22 Oct, 2012 09:25 PM

Ten days have passed, this concern has not yet been acknowledged.

Please be aware, i tried to get a response about this "apparently Policy" issue for about six months prior to posting here. No one responded to a number of private messages i sent on this issue either.

The otherwise wonderful Daily Kos reputation could sufffer, if help requests are ignored.

Is there a way to get someone to please read this, and respond?

2. 3 Posted by Richard Myers on 24 Oct, 2012 03:50 PM

Could i please get some attention for this? Frustration festers after months of being ignored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by elfling on 24 Oct, 2012 04:29 PM

We did decide to allow it, but the change has been sitting in a code branch that hasn't been ready to go up and so it's been sitting a painfully long time. Sorry for your frustration, and thank you for asking about it again.

4. 5 Posted by Richard Myers on 24 Oct, 2012 05:03 PM

Thank you VERY MUCH for the response. Hope it gets included soon.

5. 6 Posted by Richard Myers on 27 Oct, 2012 08:04 PM

It seems to me that most every day, this shortcoming of Daily Kos (inability to embed Media Matters videos) hinders my ability to create the most effective diaries on the topics that i choose to write about.

If that is the case, isn't it reasonable to conclude that it also limits some other writers as well? Can we please get this looked at soon?

6. 7 Posted by Richard Myers on 31 Oct, 2012 12:07 AM

Once again there is a perfect -- PERFECT ! video at Media Matters for America that would illustrate my Daily Kos diary so, so well!!!

Yet i cannot embed it.

When will this absurd and counter-productive barrier be taken down?

7. 8 Posted by Richard Myers on 07 Nov, 2012 07:04 PM

Well past time to FIX THIS. PLEASE!

8. 9 Posted by Richard Myers on 09 Nov, 2012 09:37 AM

Reminder, still waiting...

9. Support Staff 10 Posted by elfling on 10 Nov, 2012 05:08 AM

Thanks for the reminder. We've had a lot on our plate lately.

10. 11 Posted by Richard Myers on 10 Nov, 2012 05:47 AM

I don't fault you folks at all. I've followed some of what you've been up to, and the more deeply i become involved with the Daily Kos community, the more i am impressed.

I just also cherish the potential for the very excellent work that Media Matters For America also accomplishes, to have better integration here through embedded videos.

As the recent election demonstrated, together, we are making a huge difference. Thanks!

11. 12 Posted by Richard Myers on 21 Nov, 2012 05:39 AM

Is it overkill if i leave a reminder each time i wanted to use the ability to embed Media Matters videos, and couldn't?

12. 13 Posted by OLinda on 21 Nov, 2012 06:11 AM

Hmmm. I don't think the squeaky wheel rule works around here. ;)

13. Support Staff 14 Posted by elfling on 21 Nov, 2012 06:28 AM

Yeah, I know this sounds crazy, but the tech team has a lot of vacation time stored up from those pre-election times, and deploys have to be done in the evening, and we haven't had a free evening where enough of us could converge to roll out the staged changes in a while.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help when your change is stuck in the holding pattern!

14. Support Staff 15 Posted by ct on 20 Dec, 2012 07:02 AM

At long last, this is going up.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac