New Problem with ''Views'

aoeu

11 Oct, 2012 08:15 PM

I've only actually checked two cases but they both reflect no views since the Update last night. The one in the attached pic is on the rec list with fifty recs and no views.

Peace?
aoeu

1. 1 Posted by aoeu on 11 Oct, 2012 08:26 PM

The pic disappeared.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by elfling on 11 Oct, 2012 09:07 PM

That history page never had a [new] count. It probably should, though.

3. 3 Posted by aoeu on 11 Oct, 2012 09:14 PM

You misread the problem. This is not about new diary views.

That page used to have a working 'views' count. now it does not. Look at the pic. A rec list diary published since the update with no views . . .

4. 4 Posted by aoeu on 11 Oct, 2012 09:31 PM

A direct link to the history page in question:

http://www.dailykos.com/user/Eclectablog/history

153 recs at this time and still, no diary views.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by elfling on 11 Oct, 2012 09:31 PM

Oh. Yes, the views column is going away. It was never accurate because we had to stop counting users that weren't logged in, and one of the decisions we made as part of [new] was to stop collecting the number that went into it.

We do have plans to make an accurate view count available in the future.

6. 6 Posted by aoeu on 11 Oct, 2012 09:40 PM

So we go from a clue regarding views, limited as it is to logged in readers (who count more IMHO) to no clue?. Does kos know about this bad decision? Last night the update did nothing but reduce functionality. I only use one browser so the new comments bug does not affect me more than losing all of my previous new comments history. How about reverting the change as I suggested in the comment of mine that you deleted and reconsidering?

Worst Update ever.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by elfling on 11 Oct, 2012 09:50 PM

Unfortunately, the purpose of the update is to keep the site able to accept and display new comments on high traffic event nights like debates and elections. Faced with the choice of moving [new] to local storage versus having the site unusable for significant blocks of time under an increasing traffic load, I'm afraid the choice was clear.

In 2008, we had to turn off the [new] feature entirely, and the servers were groaning the whole evening. We're expecting much more activity November 6 based on the traffic we see already.

As it happens, kos had asked me to yank that views column as inaccurate some time ago. I just hadn't gotten to it yet. It way underestimates actual views; we'd really like to have a column there that is accurate. We do have some new tricks up our sleeve that may let us populate it better.

I'm sorry you're frustrated... it always sucks to lose a feature you liked. We're busy beavers back here, and I hope we'll be able to make the [new] actually much better, more able to predict if you actually read the comment and not give you stupid false positives that we've all learned to accept, like when all the [new] comments are ones you wrote yourself... and thus presumably read.

8. 8 Posted by aoeu on 11 Oct, 2012 09:54 PM

To be clear:
    I'm OK with keeping two stats regarding Logged in/Not logged in for diary views. It would be interesting to see the numbers .

Rolling out the old before rolling in the new is not helpful.

We want more and you gave given us less without notice.

Worst Update ever

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by elfling on 11 Oct, 2012 09:57 PM

Sorry. :-( The stat number is derived from the same data write that was tracking viewed comments - it was a freebee in the database if we were doing it already.

10. 10 Posted by aoeu on 11 Oct, 2012 10:03 PM

Regular diarists calibrate future efforts using the signed in metric.

In cases regarding concern the recs/viewed really matters.

Worst Upgrade ever.

11. 11 Posted by OLinda on 11 Oct, 2012 10:40 PM

I like to punish myself by seeing for example, 89 people viewed and 2 recced and one commented. ;) If the viewers include those who can't comment and rec, then the usefulness/interest goes away for me.

Just putting that out there for your future reference, elfling.

I guess when it stopped counting users that weren't logged in, kos didn't like that visitors might think the site was less popular than it is. You could put a disclaimer "logged in views only."

12. 12 Posted by aoeu on 11 Oct, 2012 11:04 PM

Got it in one Olinda.

13. 13 Posted by Richard Myers on 13 Oct, 2012 03:50 AM

I have used the page views feature regularly. It didn't matter too much to me that it wasn't accurate; simply having a rough indication of views was helpful. I hope that this feature returns soon.

14. 14 Posted by Youffraita on 13 Oct, 2012 06:07 AM

Worst Upgrade Ever, aeou? (lol)

I didn't even know about the page views thing, so obviously it's not an issue for me personally. But tonight (if it had been turned on) I could have been counted twice: I didn't realize there had been a reset (the ads alerted me that something was up, but even so...) until I couldn't rec or tip and went to check my status...not logged on.

I NEVER log off of this site. The upgrades do it for me.

So I went into a diary as a non-logged-on person and finished it as a logged-on person: double count? How does that work, anyway?

Just curious....

15. 15 Posted by jotter on 16 Oct, 2012 07:20 PM

I fail to see the difficulty in counting logged in vs not logged in views.

16. 16 Posted by aoeu on 16 Oct, 2012 08:48 PM

Given a choice, jotter, we would get both numbers. the comparison might be very interesting.

There are posts of interest to everyone and the entire number might be the best metric.

There are posts mostly of interest to Kogs. In that case signed in users is the only way.

17. 17 Posted by jotter on 16 Oct, 2012 10:43 PM

I'm a little surprised at making the distinction between everyone and kogs. The numbers we had were, I thought, labeled correctly as reflecting logged in viewers. We had both the numbers of viewers and who they were.

The number of external viewers aren't so easily collected and distinguished down to the individual, at least using the usual tools. So there may be good reason not to simply combine these two numbers.

I certainly agree that tracking the reach of posts out into other social domains is very important.

But why take away the number we have for local interest before adding the others?

18. 18 Posted by aoeu on 16 Oct, 2012 11:34 PM

Concur, Jotter

Something of value is better than nothing.

I would like to see both numbers rather than no number of diary views.

That would be additional value rather than the lessor value at the present time.

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by elfling on 16 Oct, 2012 11:39 PM

What we pulled out was the db write on a story view that we used to count the new comments. We also used that to populate that story_views. It didn't end up accurately counting the anonymous users because that view is heavily cached.

The problem is that when liveblogging, we have tens of thousands of users all performing the same actions at the same time. It is creating a huge spike in our load. It's an emergency change given the tools we have in our toolbox.

We have deployed additional servers, but the write load can't be distributed.

20. 20 Posted by jotter on 17 Oct, 2012 04:50 AM

Before dk4, I used this table to record viewers per diary.

The viewers seemed to disappear when the stories went into archive,
    (about 7 days) but it worked well enough at the time.

describe viewed_stories;

+-------------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
            | Field       | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
            | uid         | int(11)     |      | PRI | 0       |       |
            | sid         | varchar(20) |      | PRI |         |       |
            | lastseen    | int(11)     |      |     | 0       |       |
            | highest_idx | int(11)     |      |     | 0       |       |
            | hotlisted   | tinyint(4)  |      |     | 0       |       |

mysql>select uid from viewed_stories where sid = "[sid]";

21. 21 Posted by Richard Myers on 17 Oct, 2012 04:54 AM

I have had one "view" sneak into the records for one of my recent diaries:

http://www.dailykos.com/user/Richard%20Myers/history

That's after more than ten recent diaries have displayed no views at all. Not sure what that's all about.

22. 22 Posted by Richard Myers on 19 Oct, 2012 04:23 AM

After a week or so without the page views statistic, i want to convey to Daily Kos techs that i miss it -- a lot.

23. 23 Posted by Puddytat on 19 Oct, 2012 05:41 AM

I miss it very much, as well.

It would be nice if updates, or removal of features we use, could get some advance notice. I thought this stuff was a system problem rather than something deliberately done.

Also, please note my previous 2 requests which haven't been addressed even though elfing requested a poke on my many months ago request.

24. 24 Posted by planettech on 17 Apr, 2013 03:44 PM

So, what's up with Views now? The column is still there, but nothing is in it? Is the column going to go away, or is this going to be fixed?

25. Support Staff 25 Posted by elfling on 17 Apr, 2013 04:12 PM

Column is going away. Actually, the whole page is being rewritten.

26. elfling closed this discussion on 17 Apr, 2013 04:12 PM.

27. planettech re-opened this discussion on 17 Apr, 2013 04:31 PM

28. 26 Posted by planettech on 17 Apr, 2013 04:31 PM

Thanks. What's the ETA?

29. 27 Posted by akadjian on 06 Aug, 2013 12:53 AM

Any word on when this is coming back?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac