Unable to share to FB.....and never had a problem before

Jjc2006

11 May, 2017 04:46 PM

So I read your previous discussion about what might cause this. I am seriously frustrated. I used to have no problem at all. NOW, I cannot even get anything when I click on the F share button. Nothing comes up but at the bottom I get the the "constant waiting for.....etc etc etc etc...
So I thought it was the ads (cause that seems to cause the waiting). So I went into Firefox (which is the search engine I use on my MacAir). I installed an add-on to block google ads. Then when I hit the F share button, it came up but when I hit "POST" I got and error message that F did not recognize the error. I spent way too much time going in circles to figure out how to disallow Google ads in Google (talk about taking you in circles). So I went back and deleted the add on. SO back to the F share button not working. No idea why all of a sudden (for about the last week) I can no longer share anything from dailykos. For the record, I can still share from other sites, like HUFF POST or TPM. Daily Kos seems, so far, to be the only sight where this is happening.

1. 1 Posted by cfinnie on 11 May, 2017 05:29 PM

I don't even get that. I had to stop using Firefox on Daily Kos because it simply wouldn't work any more. The page kept jittering around, and I kept getting all these warnings about an insecure site. So I switched to Safari (I use a Mac too). Now I can't report to Facebook. I don't even get the "waiting for." Nothing happens at all.
    I also can post from other sites.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 May, 2017 06:28 PM

Sorry you're having these problems.

Yes, it's true that a number of browser extensions are incompatible with site operation in general. Many adblockers do fall into that category.

It's not necessarily the same mechanism at work, but a number of browser extensions designed to protect users' internet privacy do so by blocking requests to tracking 3rd party services. We see it most commonly when people have difficulty sharing stories to Facebook. "Disconnect" is one example of this kind of add-on or plug-in, but there is a whole class of them as well.

If this is the case for your browser, it's probably possible for you to disable this extension for Daily Kos if you choose. In any case, you may still share posts via copy&paste to your own timeline, though that's not as convenient as using the share button.

As for the Firefox issue, yes, some users are finding the browser intolerant of the "mixed content" we have right now (that is, pages with http and pages with https). This particular issue will be resolved soon, once we complete our transition to https everywhere.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend checking out the extensions you have installed to see what you might be willing to forgo when visiting the site.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for your support of the site.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 11 May, 2017 06:28 PM.

4. cfinnie re-opened this discussion on 11 May, 2017 06:40 PM

5. 3 Posted by cfinnie on 11 May, 2017 06:40 PM

I haven’t installed any extensions. I’m using the base version of Safari that came with the OS. Would that still have the extension you mention enabled?

[email blocked]

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 May, 2017 07:49 PM

No, probably not.
    We'll see what we can find out. Which version of Safari is it for you? Thank you.

PS--Our software here at Help Desk doesn't filter out names or phone numbers, hence my edit of your reply.

7. 5 Posted by cfinnie on 11 May, 2017 08:32 PM

Thank you. Safari 10.1

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 May, 2017 09:56 PM

Thank you for that information.
    Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending -- I am not having those difficulties on my Safari, which is also version 10.1. The share function works just fine for me.
    So let me suggest that you take some steps to reset the site.
    Clear the cookies and site data, then close and reopen your browser, and reload the site. That should help.
    Also, just to be doubly sure that nothing extraneous is on your version of Safari, take a moment to go to your Develop tab at the top of Safari and open the pull-down menu associated with the tab. You'll see the option close to the bottom of the list to Disable Extensions. Click on it, and see if that makes a difference too.
    Good luck, and feel free to keep us posted.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 12 May, 2017 09:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac