Comments not showing up on mobile

Mark From Jersey

30 Apr, 2017 01:53 PM

during the day i tend to use the mobile version of DK, when i look at my comments only the first 80 show up, when i go to recent replies, maybe 1-3 more are there, is there a limit on how many comments show up on mobile? When i go to the full version, the other 21 comments show up and everything. This happened once before but it seemed to fix itself. I'm not sure if my comments on the mobile version just aren't updated or there is some sort of limit to how many show up. Any sort of knowledge on this would be much appreciated.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 May, 2017 03:39 PM

Hello. Sorry for the delayed reply.

It sounds to me as though you probably have too much data from Daily Kos stored on your phone. Clear the cookies/site data/cache for the site, and see if that doesn't help. Sometimes logging off/on and rebooting the phone will help, too.

It is true that big posts (very large comment threads) will bog down even a nimble and clear system, but most of the time that situation will not arise.

Thanks for asking. If this is not sufficient, please feel free to return.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 05 May, 2017 03:39 PM.

3. Mark From Jersey re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2017 02:43 PM

4. 2 Posted by Mark From Jerse... on 14 May, 2017 02:43 PM

This problem originally did fix itself but I'm having the same issue again now. I've tried what you recommend but alas. I don't really want to wait, last time was nearly 2 weeks but not sure what else I can do. Le sigh.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 May, 2017 07:41 PM

Sorry again. Let's see if we can address your situation more expeditiously this time.

Let me make sure I understand the situation fully. Apologies in advance for being very basic about terminology. I think I glossed over some of your question the first time around. There's a great deal of room for ambiguity in our descriptions; screenshots will help if you have a chance to take and upload them.

When you say you use the mobile site, I am assuming that you go to the page m.dailykos.com and navigate from there. That version of the site is very simple and spare, so all the site does not function as completely as it does on the full site.

For example, one can navigate relatively easily to a user's profile page while on the mobile site by clicking on their name, and then it's possible to go from there to a user's comments by clicking on the Comments link in the profile. Is that what you're referencing?

If so, then yes, what you see will be the most recent page of comments (which get stored from newest to oldest). Each page will load 50 comments. If the person you're checking out has more than 50, then at the bottom of the page there is an orange button, Next Page, which when clicked will bring up the next 50 until the end of a user's comment history is reached.

Does this correspond with what you're asking about? Do you have a question about how this works?

Now, when you get to the Recent Replies, also accessible via a link on the user's profile page, you should see a note that reminds you that this page will only list the replies made in the past two days. Any older comments will not have this action on the "Recent replies" display.

Does this help to clarify things? Please let us know.

Sorry for not reading more carefully the first time around. I think this might come closer to answering your questions now.

6. 4 Posted by Mark From Jerse... on 16 May, 2017 02:58 PM

Everything you've said is true, and I greatly appreciate your help for this, but the issue is still happening. It's as if my comments aren't updating when I'm on mobile. I've made more recent comments and I've had more recommends on my comments but when I'm on mobile they don't show up. Until I get to the full site, my new comments don't show up. I understand this isn't a big deal but it's just convenience for me. Again I greatly appreciate your help and anything you can let me know is awesome.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 May, 2017 05:26 PM

Thank you for your patience. At least I have a better grasp on the problem you're having now.

At this point I'd like to know the phone and OS you have, and whether this is a new issue or one you've had for a while. In order to diagnose the problem, we need to be able to replicate it on the same kind of setup that you have.

If the comment display and recommend record are not updating quickly on your phone, then I am still thinking it's a load/refresh issue. That's still possible even if you had a stretch of time when the site worked well for you on the phone.

Can you check your data allocations on the phone? Do you routinely fill up your local storage, or is there something else that can limit the data capacity of your phone for the site? Individual use varies so much, it's impossible for us to generalize about what you might expect in comparison to other users/other storage conditions.

We'll continue to keep an eye out for your replies.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac